PDA

View Full Version : Ways to help with development

burton247
July 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
I would to try and help with the development of Ubuntu but I wouldn't know where to start or what to learn.

Anyone got any advise?

samalex
July 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
I would to try and help with the development of Ubuntu but I wouldn't know where to start or what to learn.

Anyone got any advise?

It depends on what your interests are. If you're good at technical writing start tackling documentation. If you're into coding, visit the Launchpad site and start writing fixes. Or if you're good with PR/Marketing type stuff, start advocating Ubuntu as much as you can, whether locally or via the Internet. Also hanging out in #Ubuntu on Freenode or the forums to offer support is another great way to get involved.

Lots of options depending on your interests :)

Sam

burton247
July 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I like coding the most. I just know I'm not good enough to write anything yet

Simian Man
July 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
"Ubuntu" is not a single entity. It's an amalgamation of a ton of software projects written by different people for different purposes. So the parts you want to work on will totally change who and what you will be working with.

If you are just learning programming, I'd suggest working on your own first because there is really no way to learn without making a ton of mistakes, and some projects may not appreciate that :). The best thing would probably to be to think of some application you'd like and just start working on it. You'll learn a ton.

burton247
July 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
That's the problem, I can't think of what I'd want.

What are the main languages used for writing applications?