PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphical Interface Problem on boot

Elsinor
July 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi,
I've a problem with the Graphical Interface.
Until yesterday everything worked.
This morning turning on my pc, the graphical interface has no longer worked.
I can see only the terminal screen.
Can it be a video driver problem?

Could you help me to find the solution, please?
Thanks in a advance

clrg
July 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
1. Have you made configuration changes, especially to /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
2. Have you installed updates, especially graphics drivers, X11, GNOME?

What happens if you log in to that terminal and do a "sudo service gdm start", and then check whether it's running by swichting through the other terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+Alt+F2, Ctrl+Alt+F3... usually it runs on F7)

Elsinor
July 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
1. Have you made configuration changes, especially to /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

No..

2. Have you installed updates, especially graphics drivers, X11, GNOME?
Graphics drivers... the last updates, but not the recommanded ones..
May this be the problem?

What happens if you log in to that terminal and do a "sudo service gdm start", and then check whether it's running by swichting through the other terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+Alt+F2, Ctrl+Alt+F3... usually it runs on F7)
I've logged in all the terminals now... when i press CTRL+ALT+F7 a new screen appears with this text:

*Starting AppArmor profiles
Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
*Setting sensons limits
*Speech-dispatcher configured for user sessions
*Starting VirtualBox kernel module
* done.
*Starting the Winbind daemon winbind
I don't know if it can be usefull, but the asterisk of "*Speech-dispatcher configured for user sessions" is the only one that's orange.

ps: Thanks for reply

clrg
July 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
You don't need to log in to all the terminals, just one, in order to start Gnome. It will appear on one of the others, usually the seventh.

To answer your question: If it worked, then you installed the not-recommended-driver, and now its broken, I guess the solution is obvious :)

Elsinor
July 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
You don't need to log in to all the terminals, just one, in order to start Gnome. It will appear on one of the others, usually the seventh.

To answer your question: If it worked, then you installed the not-recommended-driver, and now its broken, I guess the solution is obvious :)

Ohh good!
Thanks for the help anyway.
I'll try to format.

clrg
July 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
NO! I didn't mean reinstallation of the system! Just install the old version of the driver, the version that worked before.

Elsinor
July 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
NO! I didn't mean reinstallation of the system! Just install the old version of the driver, the version that worked before.
Ah, It would be better...! But I don't know how to download it by terminal..

clrg
July 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Navigate to the site using a web browser on another computer or using the live cd. Then, right-click on the download link, and select "copy link location" or something like that. In your terminal, type "wget <link>". That will download the specified file.

Elsinor
July 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks you!
Finally I've my desktop again :D

clrg
July 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Please don't forget to mark the thread as solved.