PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Conky or screenlets...or a combination

quirkification
July 2nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
So I have spent hours getting my conky to be where I would like it...or as far as I have gotten with it :KS.

And then I discovered screenlets, which do everything conky does but without any text config files.

Which is nice, but 15mb of ram to run just a battery percent display?

So I wanted to know, do you prefer conky(with the sense of accomplishment you get once it is where you would like it), or do you prefer screenlets(with a few clicks to have the features you desire)?

labinnsw
July 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
My linux motto is simplicity and elegance. Whenever I have to choose between them, I choose elegance provided I have the ability to achieve it. Elegant is how I usually describe conky and I have been able to get all the features I was after. I vote conky.

luceerose
July 4th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I seem to be the only person so far to vote for a combination.
Screenlets don't do everything I have on my Conky.
The screenshot is from the /home folder server on my network. At the bottom of the Conky, the ip address of every computer on the network pops up whenever it connects via ssh.
The analog clock is a screenlet. I also have a screenlet down the bottom left that shows my external ip, but I closed that for the screenshot.

As you can see, there's a fair bit of info tightly packed into my conky. The same info would take up a lot more room with screenlets. Also, I'm having a bit of a problem where it seems to be fairly random as to whether or not the clock screenlet loads on login.

quirkification
July 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Nah, I use a combination but I wanted to wait to vote and get some votes first.
What's really nice, is I hide the mounted drives behind the weather screenlets. So conky works and I dont have to see them :D

quirkification
July 6th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Also, I'm having a bit of a problem where it seems to be fairly random as to whether or not the clock screenlet loads on login.

But you have them marked as start on load? Maybe you need to update. I do not have a problem with mine.

Damiox
December 2nd, 2010, 12:53 AM
at the moment im using the system monitor screenlet . but once i figure out conky :) i will be using it only . plus i use a dock which eats ram also :)