PDA

View Full Version : KDE for windows

magmon
July 2nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
I was just browsing around the windows shell replacements because the default xp theme is incredibly bland, and I found that KDE has been ported to windows. How cool is that? I'm installing it as we speak.

NightwishFan
July 2nd, 2010, 06:36 AM
When it works it works well, though it is a bit complicated.

doorknob60
July 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
It works okay for some apps, but for me it wasn't stable enough to replace Explorer with Plasma. That was like 6 months ago when I tried though. It's cool though, and I'm sure it's constantly getting more stable :)

CJ Master
July 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
In my opinion, KDE for windows gets the worst of both worlds. WinNT, and the constant glitching of Plasmid.

I do admit it has been a while since I've tried it though, so maybe it has improved a bit.

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
In my opinion, KDE for windows gets the worst of both worlds. WinNT, and the constant glitching of Plasmid.

I do admit it has been a while since I've tried it though, so maybe it has improved a bit.

Perhaps you should try again. I'm running Ubuntu with KDE since 4.3 and it works great. No problems at all with plasma.

dragos240
July 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Perhaps you should try again. I'm running Ubuntu with KDE since 4.3 and it works great. No problems at all with plasma.

No. WINDOWS with KDE, not ubuntu with KDE.

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
No. WINDOWS with KDE, not ubuntu with KDE.

I know, but you said that you get the worst of both worlds. Plasma is not the worst of Linux/KDE world. It works great. The only bad thing is in fact Windows.

dragos240
July 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I know, but you said that you get the worst of both worlds. Plasma is not the worst of Linux/KDE world. It works great. The only bad thing is in fact Windows.

No I didn't say that. That was CJ.

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
No I didn't say that. That was CJ.

oops

I guess I shouldn't reply to posts in the morning :)

axel668
July 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Is it even possible to use KDE as complete Windows Desktop / Shell replacement ? Thought KDE4Win only supports running (some) apps ?!? BTW, if you're looking for a Windows Shell replacememt, I can recommend Emerge Desktop (http://www.emergedesktop.org), although it's more resembling openbox than KDE.

Simian Man
July 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM

I kind of agree. The things I don't like about Windows are the internal things; the interface (since Vista anyway) is actually pretty great.