PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer = Scarey

KingBahamut
March 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
"In a recent Fortune interview with Steve Ballmer, the newer kinder Microsoft CEO is not only ready to take on the videogaming, search, music download and mobile markets - but he's also laying down the law in his own house. Steve says that his kids are not allowed to use Google or have an iPod."

External Link
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/04/03/8373041/index.htm

The part that kills me is this little bit right here --

My children--in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod.

The more I hear about this guy and the way he runs things, in an almost totalitarian fashion it seems, the more I really do start to think that MSFT should can him immediately.

NeghVar
March 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Thats sad when you consider how horrible the msn search thing is

Perfect Storm
March 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM
He would make an excellent dictator in a banana republic somewhere....

Hangetsu
March 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM
He's actually a pretty good executive, and is excellent at motivating his employees. I'm an ex-Microsoftie and got to hear him speak in person on several occasions.

I'm certainly not about to rule out applications to my kids personally, but given he's an executive at Microsoft... I can understand. He probably doesn't even do it, but said so to the press for PR reasons.

Virogenesis
March 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
He's actually a pretty good executive, and is excellent at motivating his employees. I'm an ex-Microsoftie and got to hear him speak in person on several occasions. Actually they want hirm fired....

NeghVar
March 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM
PR reasons... what so instead of the softer cuter more cudly back stabbing company they come out and admit that they have plans for global domination and ruling every detail of our lives...

Keep on rockin MS, everytime you open your mouth lately more people are upset... I don't think I can remember a company shooting itself in the foot so bad, a close second would be SCO's private examiner stating that there was no property of SCO in linux...

Edit:

Actually they want hirm fired....

Ya I was going to mentiuon it but every single site is talking about it lol.

KingBahamut
March 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=62142

Hangetsu, thats the sound of a Sane concise business man.

Perfect Storm
March 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I'm certainly not about to rule out applications to my kids personally, but given he's an executive at Microsoft... I can understand. He probably doesn't even do it, but said so to the press for PR reasons.

More in a negative way if you give it a thought. Especially if he used the words "but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed", perhaps he doesn't meant it in that way, but I'll say it's very unfortunate for him to come with such a statement.

Zodiac
March 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I took at him just making a joke...

Perhaps we are the ones going a bit to far?

Just putting that out there...

helpme
March 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I took at him just making a joke...

Nah, that couldn't be it of course....

/me does monkeydance...

taurus
March 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM
And don't try to **** him off if you see him in person because the man has a short temper!!! Heard he threw a chair across his office one time because he didn't like the news he was hearing... (Didn't know Bobby Knight was working for MicroSuck!!!)

KingBahamut
March 29th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Youd be talking about his little soire with Schmidt during the Lee controversy. I linked to that threaded convo earlier in this thread , but his exact words as Im aware were --

Ballmer then pejoratively berated Google CEO Eric Schmidt, Lucovsky recalled. "I'm going to ******* bury that guy, I have done it before, and I will do it again," the declaration quotes Ballmer. "I'm going to ******* kill Google."

Shortly after which then a chair went across the office and some office equipment was damaged in some way.

bored2k
March 29th, 2006, 08:29 PM
And don't try to **** him off if you see him in person because the man has a short temper!!! Heard he threw a chair across his office one time because he didn't like the news he was hearing... (Didn't know Bobby Knight was working for MicroSuck!!!)
He's also a human being, so it's in his rights to get angry in any way he likes. Although you don't even know if that's true or not (everyone has friends who heard something bad of a micosoft employee from some other friends' friends ...), that could be regarded as a good thing, as some people like him, you and me would just throw/slap a person not a chair. He has the pitbull temper, one that acts inmediately on the scene, which is arguably better than having the cobra temper, which is those who carefully articulate their plans in ways much more dangerous than others. What's wrong with a chair? Geeze.

My point? he's a human being, let him get mad at whatever. His sons are his, not ours. His sons live under his roof, not ours. Let him do whatever he wants to. Geeze.

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

PatrickMay16
March 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Man, I love Steve Ballmer. He's such an interesting guy. If it's true that he doesn't allow his children to use google or have an iPod, imagine what would happen if he found that one of them installed some linux distribution on one of their computers. I would love to see his reaction to that.

bored2k
March 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Man, I love Steve Ballmer. He's such an interesting guy. If it's true that he doesn't allow his children to use google or have an iPod, imagine what would happen if he found that one of them installed some linux distribution on one of their computers? I would love to see his reaction to that.
What do you think Stallman would do if he found one of his own installing Windows Media Center (err, xbmc) on his XBOX?

Perfect Storm
March 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Surely he is only a man. But it's merely about credibility and the a represent face of a company we're talking about. Then people can ask me why do I care? I don't, I just stated an opinion on this matter.

Hangetsu
March 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Part of the reason he was so motivating was his passion (and yes, his quirkiness). It was infectious. And the tech industry is a battleground, you ARE out to bury the competition (or at least that's the mindset).

I wasn't aware of the fact that the employees are trying to get him tossed out, hah. I was there around Y2K, so its been awhile. Stagnant stock prices, when your employee's benefits packages are centered around options, can make opinions change pretty quick. :p

bored2k
March 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Surely he is only a man. But it's merely about credibility and the a represent face of a company we're talking about. Then people can ask me why do I care? I don't, I just stated an opinion on this matter.
As long as he's doing his job, I'm sure me and Mr. Gates don't really have an issue with his temper/. Would some of us prefer a more politically correct person on the job? Maybe, maybe not. It's the same with J Allard. Besides Ballmer, J's the most ridiculed person on the Microsoft boat, yet no one does his job better.

Sirin
March 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
(Click to enlarge)
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7078/ballmerlaysdownthelaw3tl.jpg

KingBahamut
March 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Scarey....Very scarey sirin.

Sirin
March 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Ballmer is the ultimate Microsoft fanboy. If you dare mention Linux to him, then God help you. ;)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
March 29th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I don't know why, but Ballmer seems sort of crazy. I think that he's insane. I heard that alot of MS's shareholders and employees want him fired.

Brunellus
March 29th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I don't know why, but Ballmer seems sort of crazy. I think that he's insane. I heard that alot of MS's shareholders and employees want him fired.
but not the developers developers developers developers....

KingBahamut
March 29th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Yes, how many times can you say developer really fast without slipping up?

Stormy Eyes
March 29th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Yes, how many times can you say developer really fast without slipping up?

666. I'm a New Yorker, though, and we can talk pretty damned fast if we want to.

Virogenesis
March 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Hey we should play a gamee wind Ballllmer up and watch him go......chip in any buy him one of those you know $100 notebooks with linux on it the comedy factor would highly entertaining maybe even place bets on what he throws and what swear words we'll hear from the delightful guy.

blastus
March 30th, 2006, 02:26 AM
What if one of Ballmer's kid's friends has an iPod and comes over? It could get real ugly real fast.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
March 30th, 2006, 02:38 AM
What if one of Ballmer's kid's friends has an iPod and comes over? It could get real ugly real fast.
I can imagine him...he'd start beating the kid and then take the Ipod and throw it on the floor and start stomping on it. I'm even more scared of him now. :-|

IYY
March 30th, 2006, 05:57 AM
When he tries to smile, he looks like Kevin from Sin City. The cannibal.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/images/gallery/execs/web/ballmer-1.jpg

==

http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/gfx/pictures_clanky/lotr_gal_velky_20057141349305318.jpg

jason.b.c
March 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Ballmer is the ultimate Microsoft fanboy. If you dare mention Linux to him, then God help you. ;)

Found this one while i was searchin' around on the internet.

Although it's problably been seen already, still it's rather silly.

On June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Microsoft fears GNU/Linux, and rightly so. GNU/Linux and the Open Source & Free Software movements arguably represent the greatest threat to Microsoft's way of life. Shot in cinemascope on 35mm film in Silicon Valley, REVOLUTION OS tracks down the key movers and shakers behind Linux, and finds out how and why Linux became such a potent threat.

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM
If you haven't seen it already, go check out this music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEQhhaJsU4&mode=related&search=

I've seen the developers video, but this one is just hilarious. Ballmer really does = Scarey.

Kernel Sanders
August 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Haha his kids cant use Google? Windows Live Search sucks! Enjoy that kiddies! :p

KingBahamut
August 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_48/art03_48/0348_72inftec.jpg

Kernel Sanders
August 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Did he really say that? :-o

BWF89
August 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think he was just making a joke.

KingBahamut
August 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
hehe

http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/images/microsoft/steve-ballmer.jpg

mips
August 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I have nothing against Bill as I believe he is a technophobe, Ballmer on the other hand scares the living daylights out of me and should be stopped. I a believe he is the one giving MS a bad name.

TheRingmaster
August 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
this guy is just scary.

(steve jobs is better)

rowanparker
August 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Isn't it spelt scary not scarey?

G Morgan
August 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Isn't it spelt scary not scarey?

Yes but the Americans are having fun with the language and who are we to try and protect it ;).

I don't find him scary. I think the guy is hilarious. Surely he can't be taken seriously by the market though. If it was a company other than MS (who lets be fair are reknown for their quirks) then he'd be gone.

OffHand
August 10th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Are you afraid of a bald, phat guy having his mid-life crisis?

slimdog360
August 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Nothing like letting your kids think for themselves to help them get ahead in life.

Christmas
August 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM
My children--in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod.
LOL! He must be joking, otherwise... strange mentality :D

%hMa@?b<C
August 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
i use google... i have an ipod
I must be very poorly behaved:(

Christmas
August 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
i use google... i have an ipod
I must be very poorly behaved
Hope you are one of his kids :))

rowanparker
August 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Can't wait till I've got kids.
"I'm not allowing you to use any Microsoft product!"

Hehehe.

Rowan.

Michael_aust
August 10th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I bet his family are scared of him, he probobly rules with an iron fist.

TravisNewman
August 11th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I bet his family are scared of him, he probobly rules with an iron fist.
An iron fist, a folding chair, and a mexican wrestling mask