PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Logging in and managing via VNC

scott29
July 2nd, 2010, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I currently have Ubuntu 10.04 installed with GNOME. I also have a monitor hooked up to my server. I want to ditch the monitor and just VNC into my server on my network from another computer.

Unfortunately this is causing me issues. When I log in via SSH, I authenticate and then run:

sudo service gdm start

This should kick me into Gnome and then I should be able to start VNC. I have "auto log in" on so that it should automatically log into my account.

Unfortunately I've gotten nothing but various errors with this process. There always seems to be some sort of error message or something that stops me in my tracks UNLESS I have a monitor plugged into the server. If I have a monitor attached, this works fine and in a few seconds I can VNC into the server. Unfortunately without a monitor, I end up getting various error messages that stop me in my tracks, and VNC never connects (assumedly because Gnome never started).

Is there a 'proper' way to do this? I do need GNOME or some sort of Desktop as I'm not good enough on the command line to do everything I need to do on the server.

Thanks!
Scott29

scott29
July 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Anybody have any advice on this? I can't imagine I'm the only person that's wanted to do such a thing.

Any ideas are most appreciated.