PDA

View Full Version : How do you Consume TV?

mamamia88
July 2nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
With the announcement of Hulu Plus I was wondering how you guys consume tv? All the shows I watch right now I either discovered by accident or from word of mouth from friends. When I get into a show I am deadset on watching it live when it airs. If i miss it I will download it from either xbox live marketplace or psn as soon as it shows up. If it's a show that is very heavy on story I will burn through the episodes on dvd. So how do you guys consume television in the era of highspeed internet?

ratcheer
July 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
I get HDTV by over-the-air antenna.

Tim

cariboo
July 2nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
I have an HDTV Satellite DVR, it records all the new episodes of shows I watch on a regular basis.

vegetarianshrimp
July 2nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
How do I consume tv?
I put it in my mouth, chew it, and swallow. ;)

I have Dish Network, plus I watch hulu and megavideo. I'm planning on getting a roku box to stream netflix.

dragos240
July 2nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
How do I consume tv?

<snip>

This.

Sporkman
July 2nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
How do I consume tv?

You need to boil them for a good 45 minutes first, otherwise they'll be very tough & crunchy.

Also: remember to unplug them before boiling.

JohnnyC35
July 2nd, 2010, 01:07 AM
I get mine via torrent. get lots of different shows from eztv, which I think is based in Europe as they get BBC programming (real BBC not BBC1 or PBS wannabe BBC).

chessnerd
July 2nd, 2010, 02:34 AM
Cable and DVR and DVDs of TV shows and, occasionally, the network websites

Mainly its off the DVR...

BenAshton24
July 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM
I used to watch TV... but now I'm In Canada so everything is terrible and 65% of it is adverts. I miss all the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 programs :(

Roust
July 2nd, 2010, 02:43 AM
As a long time hater of advertising, I get sick of regular TV within a few minutes usually. I watch some Discovery channel on night shifts at work; Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Daily Planet etc.

My wife has good taste in fiction so when she downloads a TV show I usually end up watching those with her via media server -> Ps3.

ubunterooster
July 2nd, 2010, 03:18 AM
I have tried TVfox, but since I got bored of TV a year ago, it holds no interest

virusiidx
July 2nd, 2010, 03:24 AM
I built an HTPC recently to watch TV shows, movies, Netflix, and Hulu over the internet or local stored movies via Boxee.

This is it. :)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_lVHsK543pHU/TC1B9W-nuII/AAAAAAAABnU/RrrRHQO4eIw/s400/DSCN1699.JPG

Lucradia
July 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM

Tim

Same

JohnnyC35
July 2nd, 2010, 03:41 AM
I used to watch TV... but now I'm In Canada so everything is terrible and 65% of it is adverts. I miss all the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 programs :(

Get your shows via bittorrent. That's why we pay a levy on media. Personal Use for the world! :)

lykwydchykyn
July 2nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Since I'm not about to waste tons of money on television, I either
- watch stuff on (free) Hulu
- watch Public TV on my 20 year old analog set (only station that comes in worth a hoot now)
- borrow DVD's from the library
- find stuff on casttv or youtube (the stuff that no company thinks is worthwhile making available)

Every time I consider paying money for something TV related, I just can't bring myself to. It's bad enough I sit around on my can watching the tube; spending money to do it would be inexcusable (for me, anyway).

lisati
July 2nd, 2010, 03:50 AM

Tim

Same here.

Legendary_Bibo
July 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
My parents pay for DirectTV, and my friends lets me and my brother use his Netflix account on our 360 and PS3. I was thinking though, with this Hulu Plus coming out (My brother is an xbox live gold member and I'm a playstation plus member already), wouldn't it still be cheaper with those two services combined then paying for satellite TV.

nishant.thomas
July 2nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Consume TV with . . . alcohol?

CharlesA
July 2nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
I consume TV one byte at a time.

Spr0k3t
July 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hear about a good TV show through friends/relatives/colleagues that I share similar interests with. Get a feel for how well the show is doing. Record in my journal about the show. Research the show on various web sites ranking the reviews on a spreadsheet. Check the overall ratings of the show as well as information about target audience genre.

Step 1: Wait until seasons 1 and 2 have come out on network broadcast
Step 2: Torrent season 1
Step 3: Wait for season 3 to be released on network
Step 4: Torrent season 2
Step X: Backup data to long term data solutions and categorize accordingly in the archive. Remove data from primary theater system.

I've done enough homework on tv shows that I believe I shouldn't have to sit through commercials. Commercials drive me insane. They push me away from the product they are trying to sell. It's almost as bad as answering a phone call from a telemarketer. Occasionally I'll listen to a news feed in the background or catch a glimpse of cartoon reruns while my kids are watching. Other than that, I get everything from the internet.

Oh yeah, I try not to watch stuff from the FOX network if I can help it.

beercz
July 2nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
I consume TV through my eyes and ears ....... (how else?)

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Commercials drive me insane. They push me away from the product they are trying to sell. It's almost as bad as answering a phone call from a telemarketer.

I feel exactly the same way. Other day I watched "The Shawshank Redemption" on Warner channel and I was able to count 15 commercials. Seriously! They stretched a 2:20 movie to 3:30, adding 50% of the movie time with stupid commercials about their own programming. I almost had a stroke.

I subscribe to satellite TV, but I rarely watch it. Mostly I consume commercial-free TV programming from the Internet. My ISP has a video portal with programming from local TV, but I can't get Hulu here.

I'm currently supporting the first free and legal BitTorrent "TV" series (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1511524).

imgx64
July 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
I don't watch TV; It's a waste of time.

I prefer to waste my time watching cats doing funny things on the internet. ;)

mamamia88
July 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
i just surf the web during commercials don't bother me at all. and dude was that an nes you turned into an htpc?

Bambinooo
July 5th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Very interesting to read)

Kdar
July 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
BBQ TV, slowly cooked and a lot of smoky flavor.

gnomeuser
July 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I don't own a TV.

I do watch a few shows, these I generally tend to access as downloads as none of the network streaming sites will work in Denmark including Hulu. Then I buy the DVDs when (or if) the full season is released. I feel this compensates the shows, gives my support for additional episodes and allows me access to episodes at release day to follow fandom everywhere.

For this reason I am very excited about the Pioneer One model and hope that it will grow into a more widespread method of producing and distributing TV shows.

khelben1979
July 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I don't own a TV.

Same here.

The internet has all the things I want to see + more. Too bad I only own a 19" CRT screen ha ha! Looking forward for some blu-ray movies in the future, would be nice. YouTube + different web sites is the TV replacement for me, works good!

jmore9
July 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I put mustard , and onions on it

YuiDaoren
July 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
With some fava beans and a nice chianti.

RiceMonster
July 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
You need to boil them for a good 45 minutes first, otherwise they'll be very tough & crunchy.

Also: remember to unplug them before boiling.

But it's more crispy if you leave it plugged in.

the.dark.lord
July 5th, 2010, 04:18 PM
With salt, pepper, and a little ketchup. :)

Cable service.

chriswyatt
July 5th, 2010, 04:26 PM
In Soviet Russia television consumes you!

Lightstar
July 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Cable and DVDs. Mostly DVDs, I don't watch actual tv much.

sports fan Matt
July 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Direct TV for now. In a year I may switch to dish depending on finances.

NCLI
July 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I use a media server and friendly Swedish pirates. I like being able to watch the shows I want to when I want to. I discover shows by word-of-mouth.

Kimm
July 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I use a media server and friendly Swedish pirates. I like being able to watch the shows I want to when I want to. I discover shows by word-of-mouth.

+1

I don't own a TV, don't want to, its all just commercials and crap anyway. I generally use BitTorrent for shows I like, then (mostly) buy them on DVD when they become available. I discover new shows through friends and online communities

MooPi
July 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I live very close to my areas TV towers, 4.5 miles approximately. So put an antenna in the attic and get great reception of all the local stations. I don't miss cable television in the least, especially the cost. I do watch hulu now and then.

Ralob
July 6th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Local HD by over-the-air antenna.

The rest via HTPC.

domzals1
July 6th, 2010, 04:44 AM
at&t u-verse

and tvshack.net

don't know how many people have used that site but it is WONDERFUL

OwenHell
July 6th, 2010, 04:46 AM
What ever you do don't deep fry it, it's more fatting then a basket
full of mars bars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiP1Y01u-tQ)

when I want to watch infotainment
any thing i can get on my Miro (www.getmiro.com)
revision3.com
twit.tv
crankygeeks.com
And buying DVD off amazon

Legendary_Bibo
July 6th, 2010, 05:11 AM
hulu desktop yo! Miro was kind of slow, and I didn't like the fact that it just downloaded torrents (I have Vuze for that).

mamamia88
July 6th, 2010, 05:14 AM
honestly the only reason i need cable right now is for sports. i know i could use sopcast etc but quality isn't good enough for me

MechaMechanism
July 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm, lets see, when was the last time I used a TV. I think about somewhere around 2005 2006. Since then it has been bittorrent all the way. I watch on my computer monitor. Don't get me wrong, I think TV's are great because there located next to the most comfy sitting places. The only thing I need to figure out is how to do a wireless transfer from computer to old 20 inch TV thats next to big plush chair.

:popcorn:

asddf
July 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I just torrent all my tv

MindSz
July 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I just torrent all my tv

this.

I don't really watch too many TV shows. It's enough for me to sit all day in front of a computer. I try to go out as much as I can when I'm not at work.