PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing 2 version of linux, but want to maintain grub control to first distro

Sir_Sid
July 2nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hi, I currently have 10.04 installed as my primary OS. I also have windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha installed. I would like to be able to play around with the 10.10 without any risk of damaging my 10.04 install. However, it seems grub2 control was transfered to 10.10. How do I return control to my original distro?

darkod
July 2nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
Just boot 10.04 and depending what is the device name of the disk you are booting from, execute:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda (change /dev/sda if you are booting from another disk)

That will install grub2 to /dev/sda and that grub2 will be connected with 10.04 because you did it from within 10.04.

Next time, if you want to keep grub from the first install in charge, just select not to install a bootloader with the second linux install. For ubuntu, you control that by clicking the Advanced button in the last screen of the installer.

For other linux versions it might be different but usually all of them offer not to install a bootloader.

Sir_Sid
July 2nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
Got it thanks!