PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] New install -- but I think it is screwed up

MountainX
July 1st, 2010, 11:42 PM
Are there some terms I could use with grep to find any lines in the log files that need attention? Is there another way to do a review of my system to find any issues that need attention?

I think my system is slightly screwed up and I'd like to see if I can fix it. Here's the story.

I just installed Kubuntu 10.04 on a desktop system with hardware that is high quality but a few years old. My hardware doesn't have all the latest power management features, etc., but it has a few. I wanted to see how well hibernate would work, so yesterday evening I hibernated my system instead of turning it off.

Today it failed to resume from hibernation and just booted up instead. Unfortunately, some stuff is now broken. Networking stopped (my device was deleted from /etc/network/interfaces for some strange reason). My USB mouse has been flaky today and KNetworkManager will not even open up.

I would like to discover any and all errors and fix them. If I can't do that, now is the right time for me to just reinstall (before I invest more time to customize my whole system any further).

MountainX
July 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
bump

MountainX
July 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM
still wanting to know if there is an easy way to search the logs for errors and such... how do I verify my system is running the way it should?