PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A Few Problems - Acer Aspire 5515, 10.04

Stigmata13
July 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hello. I'm still very new to Ubuntu, I'm slowly learning, but I have a problem I can't figure out.
I'm running Lucid 10.04 AMD 64 version on my Acer Aspire 5515. It's been working great, aside from two things.

First off, upon every boot, after getting past the BIOS booting, my system will hang on a black screen with a blinking cursor for 15-20 seconds, and then briefly display the error message "MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC." Edit: Turns out, that message was the one I was getting with Karmic and Earlier. The one I've been getting with lucid is "acer wmi: unable to detect wmid device" It's not a big deal, but it would be nice how to figure out how to fix this, as it would shave quite a bit of time from my boot time.

Secondly, my computer has been crashing, and I can't figure out why. Randomly, the screen will become distorted into lines, and I will be forced to reboot by hard-killing the laptop. I have all the latest updates and I'm using the open source Radeon drivers loaded under lucid by default.

Thanks in advanced.