PDA

View Full Version : photo t-shirt (in need of picture size suggestions)

towsonu2003
March 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I will soon try to do a custom t-shirt for my girlfriend. I'll use those iron-on t-shirt papers (8.5 by 11 inches) and a couple of small pictures I will put together. Editing the picture will be done in gimp (ubuntu) but printing will be done via Windows (I don't have a printer at home).

I need some advise on the size of the picture so it prints correctly. I will probably be putting together ~40 pictures with 256 x 256 pixels into one big jpeg (kinda like a mozaic).

I want the size of the big picture on my t-shirt be about the size of the [text + pic] in this t-shirt sample: http://www.museums.org.za/sam/resource/misc/pics/tshirt_03b.jpg (picture found via google, work/home safe, I don't know what "the new south africa" refers to)

Can anyone suggest a size (like 1024x768, 2000x750, etc etc etc) for the final picture so the print quality will be fine and the proportional size of t-shirt to picture will be like the above example?

PS. This is my first ever t-shirt (and the last one I guess). As usual, my google keywords suck, so I couldn't find a tutorial with enough details (to give suggestions on size). A couple of tutorials I found do NOT mention the size issue.

DirtDawg
March 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Here's the skinny:
Your best bet is 300 dpi (dots per inch) whenever your printing anything. So for 8.5" X 11", a safe size would be 2,550 X 3,300 pixels.

In GIMP, when you're creating a new file, try opening the "advanced" options (if I remember correctly) where you can set inches and dpi. Then GIMP will figure it out for you.

The pictures you were talking about using will be less than 1" apiece, but that should be fine unless the t-shirt is 30 or 40 inches wide.

I hope this helps.

towsonu2003
March 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Your best bet is 300 dpi (dots per inch) whenever your printing anything. So for 8.5" X 11", a safe size would be 2,550 X 3,300 pixels.
The pictures you were talking about using will be less than 1" apiece, but that should be fine unless the t-shirt is 30 or 40 inches wide.

This absolutely helps :) Thanks so much.