PDA

View Full Version : The New Android 2.2 is amazing!

HappinessNow
July 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
I just installed Build Number FRF85B from EPE54B...and I have to say I am very impressed!

The update is at least 450 times faster if not more, I love being able to set my Nexus One as a Wifi Hotspot, and easy USB Teethering.

The new dedicated shortcuts are also very, very nice and handy.

Bonus points for Flash working on the Android now! (I guess Steve Jobs really was wrong)

probably more great stuff about this update that I forgot to mention but you can get the official release announcement here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.2-highlights.html

LowSky
July 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM
I cant wait until 2.2 is ported to the Droid Incredible... or rooting the phone becomes easier.

HappinessNow
July 1st, 2010, 09:55 PM
I cant wait until 2.2 is ported to the Droid Incredible... or rooting the phone becomes easier.2.2 is incredible but I hear that 3.0 (coming out this fall) is even better. :P

Lightstar
July 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
I want it!

I've been thinking of rooting my phone, but then I'm not fully sure how to install drivers.

Anyway, yeah, 2.2 seems like a great update, I've seen reviews of it, looking forward to mine.

Muffinabus
July 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm stuck with 1.5 on my Cliq XT because of Motoblur. I'd rather have 2.2 than use Motorola's software but I aint complainin when the phone was free.

LMP900
July 2nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
2.2 is incredible but I hear that 3.0 (coming out this fall) is even better. :P

Well, I would hope it isn't worse. ;)

I'm really hoping that the Dell Streak ships in the U.S. with 2.2. At least it has the minimum specifications for 3.0.

the yawner
July 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
<snip>
The update is at least 450 times faster if not more
<snip>

Is it apparent all through out the OS? I mean, do programs run better etc? I'm quite comfortable with the HTC Sense UI (Legend) and I'm excited with what they could come up for their Froyo update.

Johnsie
July 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Waiting on the update for my Desire. Hotspotting seems like a good feature

HappinessNow
July 3rd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Is it apparent all through out the OS? I mean, do programs run better etc? I'm quite comfortable with the HTC Sense UI (Legend) and I'm excited with what they could come up for their Froyo update.Very much apparent, you always hear about such software claims and admittedly I was skeptical but you do notice a big difference in speed, and overall performance across the board.

This includes but is not limited to game speeds, internet browsing speeds, etc.

Knowle
July 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
I love 2.2, really wish I could find a nice Google Experience device on T-Mobile with a QWERTY keyboard.

I'm stuck with 1.5 on my Cliq XT because of Motoblur. I'd rather have 2.2 than use Motorola's software but I aint complainin when the phone was free.I liked the Cliq XT when I saw it but hated Motoblur and that it ran 1.5/1.6. 2.1 testing is in process so it should be updated mid July I guess.
https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Rey117
July 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'll stick with my palm prē the webos is amazing at multitasking and I tether to my laptop all the time...The UberKernel is amazing and openssh is a plus! Can't wait for the 1Ghz overclock patch.

AllRadioisDead
July 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Still stuck on 2.1, GSM Hero user here. Grrr.

MCVenom
July 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
MotoDroid running Froyo (Pete's Bugless Beast FRF57 0.4 ROM) here! :D

The speed increase is simply amazing. :D

kevdog
July 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I'm still waiting on the CM port of 2.2. Alpha3 is out, but I'm done testing alpha ports right now. I'm really excited to see the performance increase.

gnomeuser
July 3rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Still stuck on 2.1, GSM Hero user here. Grrr.

HTC have said that they have no plans for further updates for the Hero. Personally having waited since December for the 2.x update which according to my cellco HTC was about to roll out any day now when I bought mine.. well I sold mine at a very reasonable price the other day and the next day the 2.1 update was issued.

That being said I am looking forward to Froyo on my N900 (nitdroid.com yay). It looks like a very desirable update to Android, though it also sounds like the user experience and the long standing poor media experience on Android won't be addressed till 3.0 (could be as early as Oct 2010).

chris200x9
July 3rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'm not getting an android phone untill at least 2.3 or 3.0 comes out, perhaps longer. The samsung galaxy s looks great but it has 2.1 and is confirmed to get 2.2 butt beyond that who knows. As it stands android doesn't have all the features I want (see my sig and please vote:P), so I'll be waiting. On a related note I think companies would sell alot more phones if they came with a "supported for X amount of releases" thing.

HappinessNow
July 4th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Just received a Froyo update OTA, now running Build Number: FRF91 :P