PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype Killer

rykel
July 1st, 2010, 07:51 AM
I am currently a heavy user of Skype for the following reasons:

Available on Windows, Mac and Linux;
Available on PC and Mobile Phones (including Symbian and iPhones); and
Superb call quality thanks to SILK and the p2p nature of Skype (more users, better QoS, like bittorrent).

Unfortunately, Skype is CLOSED source!

Is there any FREE or OPEN SOURCE client out there that can replace Skype in ALL three of the above departments? (ie. runs on multiple OSes, devices AND has crystal clear quality, preferably with p2p rather than server-client underlying technology)

laithbsoul
July 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
well idk if there is but i'm with you and would sure like to know

nemiux
July 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM
Well, I don't understand why did you named topic Skype Killer :D
Anyways, here is a little topic about that
http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2009/11/skype_open_source.html
I am looking forward to see an open source skype too.

libssd
July 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
You got Skype to work acceptably with Ubuntu? I tried with 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04, and gave up -- I just couldn't get the built-in microphone to work acceptably on an Acer AA1 D150 netbook. Sound (including built-in microphone) works just fine with other apps, so I know it's functional.

zerubbabel
July 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
One aspect of Skype that I wish would NOT be a feature of this hypothetical "Skype Killer" is Skype's insistence on being able to use your computer as a relay for other people's file transfers. We have experienced this gobbling up our bandwidth when several people at our facility are running Skype, even when they are not actively doing anything themselves.

rykel
July 1st, 2010, 09:33 PM
LOL, yeah nemuix You are right, I shld have named this thread, "LOOKING for the Skype Killer". :D

libssd: Well, my Asus EeePC 701 netbook microphone DID have problems - although it sounds like your mic problem happens only in Skype. That is unusual, because Skype 2.1 uses Pulseaudio instead of ALSA. Maybe you want to ensure that you are running the latest Skype AND that you have set the microphone to be UNMUTE in Skype? Not sure how else I can help... sorry!

Zerubabbel, while I can understand your concern about the p2p nature of Skype, unfortunately I use Skype AND SIP extensively (both on desktops and mobile phones) and SIP is nowhere near the crystal clear quality and minimal latency of Skype.

You can try calling me on Skype ID: rykel98 and iNum (+883-51000-1190777), have a conversation and you will know what I mean. SIP QoS is just soooo choppy/unstable that it is impractical.

I hope that a voice codec that can travel effectively on 2G networks would be developed!

Greggi
July 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Skype from the Software Center works at 10.04!