PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] please help, Massive security breach, login screen lost.

big_danmahony
July 1st, 2010, 04:39 AM
I've had a password on my 10.04 installation since I installed it (when it was released) and since last week it has disappeared. My computer seems to log in automatically.When I check the login screen settings, it is set to "show the screen for choosing who will log in"

This is a massive security breach and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, Thanks in advance.

wilee-nilee
July 1st, 2010, 05:02 AM
I've had a password on my 10.04 installation since I installed it (when it was released) and since last week it has disappeared. My computer seems to log in automatically.When I check the login screen settings, it is set to "show the screen for choosing who will log in"

This is a massive security breach and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you didn't set it to auto-login.

big_danmahony
July 1st, 2010, 05:17 AM
Are you sure you didn't set it to auto-login.

Absolutely sure, I have always had a password set because I need my privacy. I haven't changed anything relating to the login screen and all of a sudden it has disappeared, my computer just logs in automatically now. I have absolutely no idea how it could have vanished :S

wilee-nilee
July 1st, 2010, 05:37 AM
Since I don't know your experience level with Linux or what you have done, and this is not a problem I have ever encountered I can't really give you an answer.

For your password to be erased though somebody would of had to know how to do it from your recovery, a live cd or gotten into your root setup.

Are you sshing into your computer, or running vpn or was your password a secure one would be what I wonder.

I just ask this so you can put that information in the thread for those that might know more.

big_danmahony
July 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM
Since I don't know your experience level with Linux or what you have done, and this is not a problem I have ever encountered I can't really give you an answer.

For your password to be erased though somebody would of had to know how to do it from your recovery, a live cd or gotten into your root setup.

Are you sshing into your computer, or running vpn or was your password a secure one would be what I wonder.

I just ask this so you can put that information in the thread for those that might know more.

I still have to use my password to install applications etc, it's just the login screen doesn't show up any more, it just automatically logs in.

I have no SSH or VPN access to this computer, although I do have a server on my network with several ways to access it.
The server does not authenticate other computers on the network though, so I can't see it being a problem. Is there any log files I could show you to help?

wilee-nilee
July 1st, 2010, 06:20 AM
I still have to use my password to install applications etc, it's just the login screen doesn't show up any more, it just automatically logs in.

I have no SSH or VPN access to this computer, although I do have a server on my network with several ways to access it.
The server does not authenticate other computers on the network though, so I can't see it being a problem. Is there any log files I could show you to help?

This is out of my area I wish I could help but I don't know the answers. There are many others though on the forum that are much more experienced and might know a process. I have a couple of specific areas I have concentrated on, and I just try to gather more information as time goes on.