PDA

View Full Version : RAM and CPU.

dragos240
July 1st, 2010, 02:01 AM
I'm feeling REALLY left out. My desktop supports up to 2gb of ram, it's from 2007, and people here seem to have 4 or 8gb of ram. :(

Also, people seem to have dual quad-core processors, my max is 1 dual core. I feel very very left out here.

I mean, this was a 2007 computer! It's not that old, but it has technology from 2005. Heck the graphics card is a 6150, when did that come out?

I hate emachines. Apparently, it's also the same as acer, that explains it.

What's my best option do you think. I really want to ditch this computer badly.

TheNerdAL
July 1st, 2010, 02:04 AM
You're not the only person. :lolflag:

My Motherboard only supports up to 2 GB of ram and I have a one core 1.8 GHz CPU.

Time for my old computer to retire or something.

EDIT: You can upgrade the motherboard and CPU if you'd like. I might do that or get a new computer.

Shazzam6999
July 1st, 2010, 02:11 AM
I have a pentium 4 and 512mbs of ram, don't feel too left out :p

RJARRRPCGP
July 1st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Most people probably would be in the 512 MB to 2 GB range here and Ubuntu don't seem to suffer, at least not like Windows Vista and Windows 7 can at times, because Vista and 7 likes using more RAM and filling the swap. :(

Thus, I'm surprised, because the RAM prices seemed to stay roughly the same, if not more expensive than late 2008 and early 2009, making it difficult to get more than 2 GB!

That means the max I have is 2 GB, on my XP Pro SP3 system, the Asus P5QL Pro.

And 1 GB on the Acer Aspire M5630, which I use for GNU/Linux.

Because of the RAM prices, most people probably would be in the 512 MB to 2 GB range.

TheNerdAL
July 1st, 2010, 02:25 AM
Most people probably would be in the 512 MB to 2 GB range here and Ubuntu don't seem to suffer, at least not like Windows Vista and Windows 7 can at times, because Vista and 7 likes using more RAM and filling the swap. :(

Thus, I'm surprised, because the RAM prices seemed to stay roughly the same, if not more expensive than 2008 and makes it difficult to get more than 2 GB!

That means the max I have is 2 GB on my XP Pro SP3 system, the Asus P5QL Pro.

And 1 GB on the Acer Aspire M5630, which I use for SliTaz and Ubuntu.

Because of the RAM prices, most people probably would be in the 512 MB to 2 GB range.

Yeah, 1 GB of DDR1 RAM is like 50 bucks, that's DDR1, that's the old kind of RAM. :(

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 02:29 AM
Get a new Motherboard; upgrade whatever else you want later.

My PC: 8GB DDR2 @ 1445
4 GHZ CPU dual-core

NightwishFan
July 1st, 2010, 02:29 AM
Up until 2007, my machine was a single core 700mhz with 128mb of RAM running Xp. I got an 'upgrade' to a 2.0ghz/1gb machine (-128mb integrated nvidia 6150se) running Vista. Terribly slow until I started using Ubuntu/OpenSUSE.

Finally this year I got myself an amazing super high end 2.2ghz/3gb laptop. (Sarcasm) It may be pretty much obsolete to the folks that have money to buy needlessly good hardware but it does everything I need and quite quickly. I will probably start saving now until I have enough to get a System76 Pangolin.

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 02:32 AM
I'm feeling REALLY left out. My desktop supports up to 2gb of ram, it's from 2007, and people here seem to have 4 or 8gb of ram. :(

Also, people seem to have dual quad-core processors, my max is 1 dual core. I feel very very left out here.

I mean, this was a 2007 computer! It's not that old, but it has technology from 2005. Heck the graphics card is a 6150, when did that come out?

Does your computer do what you want? If it does, don't worry about it. If it doesn't, get/build a new one. Simple.

My desktop pc is my "workhorse". AMD quad, 6gb ram, nvidia 9500gt 1gb, and does what I want, which is major multi-tasking. My 8yr old laptop on the other hand, 1.2ghz/512 ram does what I want, which is surfing, and not much more. I have no plans on getting a new laptop if all I do is surf on it.

Just evaluate what you do and ask yourself if your pc is up to the task.

dragos240
July 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM
Compiling and gaming, it doesn't do that too well at all.

NightwishFan
July 1st, 2010, 02:43 AM
Model: ASUSTeK K50IJ
CPU: Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz (supports SSE3)
RAM: 3Gib SODIMM DDR2 Synchronous 667 MHz
GPU: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (256mb)
Storage: 298GiB (320GB) Hitachi HTS54503 5400rpm

As you can see the laptop I mentioned above is not the King Of Swing. However it manages Virtualization quite well even though my CPU does not have strict extensions for it. The hardware is all supported by Ubuntu and Debian out of the box, requires no proprietary drivers and only basic configuration. As for gaming, despite being Intel, it handles everything quite well, and I am currently using the GIT 2.12 drivers.

My advice is if you like certain components of your machine, just find out ways to upgrade ones you do not. Though in some cases a new machine may be far cheaper.

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, 1 GB of DDR1 RAM is like 50 bucks, that's DDR1, that's the old kind of RAM. :(

$50? Wow. I get computer stuff for free, or close to it. I've gotten computers with 1gb ram, 2.8ghz cpu, with dvd burners for free. You just have to be crafty. PM me if you want to know how to get stuff free or really cheap. I hate seeing people overpay for things. I've been given well over $5000 worth of stuff over the last 2 years, and now have enough parts to open my own used computer parts shop. I just can't see paying for old stuff like that.

chessnerd
July 1st, 2010, 03:07 AM
Check here: http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDeals.aspx?ComboStoreID=1&name=CPUs-Motherboards

Newegg is having it's 4th of July sales at the moment, so there are some good deals right now.

Maybe you can find a decently priced mobo-cpu combo that would fit with the case of that computer. Just make sure that it has enough PCI slots to work with your older expansions and that you can afford the RAM to go with it.

Or you can just buy a new computer. This cheap Asus desktop looks pretty good for the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220026

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck.

Moozillaaa
July 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM
I mean, this was a 2007 computer!

Soooo .................... what?

You buy a computer today, and it will be obsolete yesterday.

What's the problem?

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 03:23 AM
Soooo .................... what?

You buy a computer today, and it will be obsolete yesterday.

What's the problem?

No problem for me. I love it when people throw out their "old" computers. $$$$$$$$$$ :p

TheNerdAL
July 1st, 2010, 03:23 AM
No problem for me. I love it when people throw out their "old" computers. $$$$$$$$$$ :p
Me too. :D I got an old computer from some friend and I sold it with Ubuntu for I think 80 bucks. :D

Stavro
July 1st, 2010, 03:32 AM
If it works well for your needs then I don't see why you should be bothered... protect the Earth and try to reduce what tech waste goes into landfills. That is still a very powerful computer! I was still using a P3 with 512 MB ram for a little web-related stuff until recently.

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 03:36 AM
Me too. :D I got an old computer from some friend and I sold it with Ubuntu for I think 80 bucks. :D

I now sell pc's for a living, and the most I got was $150 for a Dell E510 with 2.8ghz/1gb/80gb/DVD/CD-RW. It came with 17" lcd, keyboard, and mouse. Yeah, I could have waited and gotten more for it, but I like to move product and go on to the next one. Btw, I got that pc free. ;) /cha/ching

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2010, 04:52 AM

For most people, there's very little speed increase from 2 GiB of RAM to 4 or 8.

Also, people seem to have dual quad-core processors, my max is 1 dual core.

Dual-core processors have the advantage of (usually) being faster for single-threaded tasks than quad-cores.

Also, very FEW people have more than one processor. Dual-socket motherboards are hella expensive even when you don't take into account the cost of the two CPUs.

Build one yourself; I did that and got something pretty powerful for a pretty good price, plus I've upgraded it a bit since then. It's definitely due for a bit of a refresh once I find some money, but it's still a good machine.

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
For most people, there's very little speed increase from 2 GiB of RAM to 4 or 8.

For heavy users there's a definite increase in performance. Now that I have 6gb of ram, I can run anything in vbox and give it 1-2gb of ram, and things work really well.

Vbox is cool, but real installs are a different story. But I have yet to have a bad experience with any linux. I've had some hiccups, but nothing major. I guess that's why I make money in computers, because I know windows and linux very well. ):P

People spend too much time whining instead of making things happening. A sad symptom of our society.

SmittyJensen
July 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
i have a dell inspiron 531, 3gb ram, amd athlon x2 2.3ghz, geforce 7650gs and i see no need to upgrade. everything is blazing fast on ubuntu & windows 7 still. i don't game on my pc, that's why i bought my 360 & turtle beach headset (and soon new monitor or small tv).

my computer cost in all $300-$350. the comp was 200 (+60 in shipping) gfx card was 35 and ram was 60 or so (with tax + retail walmart prices).

McRat
July 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Prices on computer speed will continue to fall rapidly for the foreseeable future, IMO.

Every day you wait to buy a faster system, you get more for your dollar. Both new and used, and parts as well.

I've never compiled a whole operating system, but back in prehistoric days when I would compile large projects, I had a separate, cheaper computer that I'd use for compiling so I continue to work on other things.

I'm thinking of building a "hotrod elCheapo computer" for personal use. But since I don't play advanced games, I don't need a top end graphics.

It will probably be:

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $139

This has USB3, which will be a common device interface shortly, and has fairly advanced on-board graphics, but not still not worthy for modern gaming. A $50 nVidia card would make it a better gaming machine.

AMD 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz 4-core processor - $179

This can be overclocked higher than the 6 cores supposedly if I need more umph.

2x 4GB DDR3 1333 memory - $215

This way, if I want to bump up higher than 8gb (the mobo supports 16gb), I can do it. The mobo will support up to DDR3-2000 memory, but not everyone is having a lot of luck overclocking memory, so I stuck with 1333.

And just throw it into an existing case that has at least 350w powersupply, and reuse the HDD and CD-ROM.

This should be fairly "obsolete resistant" for 5 years or more, and will outperform the $1000 systems.

Redache
July 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have 4GB of DDR2 and a dual core processor on my Desktop and 4GB of DDR3 and a dual core on my macbook. I want to upgrade my Desktop though when I get the money to an i5/7 probably.

samalex
July 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
-- SNIP --

Unless you need to do 3D gaming or want all the fancy crap that comes with Compiz, what you have should work very well. That's the HUGE pro of Linux IMO is that it runs great on older systems, which personally I don't think yours would fall into that category.

Yeah you may have to wait a few more seconds for some processes to finish, but are you seeing any lag on anything or is anything not working? If not then don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading. And if graphics is the bump you want, you can still invest in a good Linux-friendly graphics card which will have it's own RAM and CPU to do much of the processing.

The only task I could see that you may be limited on is visualization. For me that's why I went with 4 Gigs was to run multiple operating systems in VirtualBox.

Sam

smellyman
July 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM

bah...keep it.

my 1gb pentium 4 runs great with Ubuntu. Your life won't be any better with an upgrade.

That won't be obsolete in the foreseeable future.