PDA

View Full Version : Online college or on campus college, that's the question.

jeffymarts
July 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
Ok, so I want to be a programmer/developer. What I was wondering though was if going to an online college would be acceptable in this career field. I know you don't get the same kind of experience from going to school online as you would offline in a campus environment, but if it won't impact my career when I look for jobs I would gladly save my self 20k. Anyone have some advice?

JDShu
July 1st, 2010, 02:18 AM
Personally, campus colleges feel more "legitimate" to me, but I think thats just bias - I doubt theres a huge difference. More importantly, the biggest thing seems to be practical experience. A college that can hook you up with a internship would be the best thing outcome. Also, remember to do some programming all the time to gain experience. I'm in the same boat as you :D

RJARRRPCGP
July 1st, 2010, 02:31 AM
personally, campus colleges feel more "legitimate" to me

Same here.

kamaboko
July 1st, 2010, 03:33 AM
First two years do at a community college. Save your money and get all the general pre-req's out of the way. It's all the same stuff at 95% of the colleges anyway. Kick butt, pull A's then apply to a 4 year university.

skierkyles
July 1st, 2010, 03:39 AM
First two years do at a community college. Save your money and get all the general pre-req's out of the way. It's all the same stuff at 95% of the colleges anyway. Kick butt, pull A's then apply to a 4 year university.

Well I was about to post this same thing, but I guess I dont need to. ;)

Thats exactly what I'm doing.