PDA

View Full Version : Is this pathetic?

LeifAndersen
June 30th, 2010, 11:54 PM
So, I installed ubuntu updates today. And I started up my laptop, and I noticed my sound worked out of the box, without any tweeking. Then, I touched my touchpad, and the scrolling by using the right side feature actually worked! And I was jumping for joy. (Yes, I know I could have fixed it, but I didn't want to take the time to figure out what was wrong with it). On most other OSes, these things are just taken for granted.

Tibuda
June 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
yes... :lolflag:

laithk50
June 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Because the tweaking is done before hand... so yes, its great...but not all too special, especially since recently a large number of hardware all of a sudden started working nicely...instead of asking whether or not its pathetic I would give kudos to the ubuntu team for their work.

There is still a lot to do in terms of hardware support, but were constantly getting closer.):P

LeifAndersen
July 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
That's true...I do have to give props for the devs. Although on the other hand, I did submit bug reports on a few of the problems, and on a subset of those, I also submitted patches to fix the problems (note that I said SOME), and they were ignored. :( But now they all work, so I'm happy. :D

NightwishFan
July 1st, 2010, 01:37 AM
I know that most hardware is built for Windows, so I tend to use that as a baseline for comparing the open source ones. Usually I am not disappointed. With the right hardware everything works great.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
Nooo! Everything works! quick, break something so we can help you fix it! ;)

Mr. Picklesworth
July 1st, 2010, 04:16 AM
Nooo! Everything works! quick, break something so we can help you fix it! ;)

I know how to handle this:

Does your IR port work? …or the dial-up modem?