PDA

View Full Version : What is your preferred portable music device?

Captain Smiley Pants
June 30th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm sure many people out there have iPods and whatnot, which is good for them (I guess). I'm sure those will show up in the thread, but hey, iPods aren't the only thing that plays music on the go!

So, my question is, what do you use?

I either have my netbook with me, or I use my my Walkman (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZS545BLK-Video-Player/dp/B002IPHA1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277937520&sr=1-1). No, I'm not stuck in the 90's, Sony continued the name and has made some killer mp3 players down the road.

It primarily uses MTP, but it's fully capable of drag 'n dropping music right from my hard drive to it's MUSIC folder. Has the radio too, which is neat and I actually am surprised that I use it more than I thought I ever would (Especially when I'm mowing the lawn).

Haven't really tried out it's video capabilities, but I don't really care for that stuff. In fact, there are a bunch of features I just haven't bothered to use because I just slap my music on there and go.

What about you guys?

sydbat
June 30th, 2010, 11:44 PM
My Crackberry Blackberry.

NightwishFan
June 30th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Anything that can play vorbis and has a 'random' function.

chriswyatt
July 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
I was quite fond of my Sony NW-A3000, I would've carried on using it if it wasn't for the lack of Linux support. It also had a line-out option which was a nice feature that not many DAPs have and a funky OLED screen.

And it didn't have that stupid control system that iPods have, it was practical and not some flimsy Apple piece of junk. Nor does it decide to randomly shuffle the songs and skip the one I'm listening to while I'm walking along (shake to shuffle, what a stupid idea that was, you can turn it off though which I promptly did). Nor does the screen change orientation at certain angles, at first it seems neat, then it's annoying having to hold the iPod in a certain way, not good when you're lying on your side and using it in bed.

The software (Sony Connect) was awful, though they got rid of that nasty piece of software in the end and replaced it with Sonicstage which is alright and does the job.

Yeah, you can probably tell I'm not a fan of Apple products, I find them irritating and awkward to use, especially their mice! :mad:

These days I use my smartphone for listening to music on the go, and it works perfectly fine with Linux, no special software needed.

donnagarnet
July 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
I love my Creative Labs Zen. It's easy to use & has lasted through all sorts of abuse; being dropped, sat on, rolled on (while I sleep), left in the sun, etc.

chriswyatt
July 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
I just remembered I had a Creative MuVo once. I miss it, it was quite a cute little device :)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/chriswyatt/muvo2m.jpg

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 12:26 AM
My iPod Touch.
It's small, can do just about anything I want, and has a decent battery life.

MCVenom
July 1st, 2010, 12:29 AM
My Droid, but likely soon to be one of those Dell Streak mini tablets :D

scouser73
July 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM
I've just bought an iPod Touch 32GB, so it has to be that really. Previously I had a Toshiba F20 Gigabeat & it was bloody brilliant, sadly though Toshiba no longer makes them so I opted for the Apple.

eriktheblu
July 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Martin backpacker.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 01:34 AM
My Cowon D2+: Radio+recording, 100+ battery life, Plays Flac

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P8WsIcdsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001UHOBW0/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics)

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM
My PSP does me just fine. It's a 1000 series in mint condition. It's not very light, but fits in my pocket. I see no reason to buy a seperate mp3 player.
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Games/images-2/PSP-Console-back-and-front.jpg

smellyman
July 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM

ditto

RJARRRPCGP
July 1st, 2010, 01:59 AM
My SanDisk Sansa Fuze 4 GB. It plays Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. ;)

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 02:10 AM
My SanDisk Sansa Fuze 4 GB. It plays Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. ;)I hated the "short" battery life, but otherwise a good player

My PSP does me just fine. It's a 1000 series in mint condition. It's not very light, but fits in my pocket. I see no reason to buy a seperate mp3 player.

Big pocketses?

JDShu
July 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
I just remembered I had a Creative MuVo once. I miss it, it was quite a cute little device :)

I used to have one too! Unfortunately a battery melt inside it or something and it stopped working.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 02:17 AM
I used to have one too! Unfortunately a battery melt inside it or something and it stopped working.
My father had a muvo and muvo tx FM. Both have a very high-pitched squeal that hurts my ears:(

JDShu
July 1st, 2010, 02:21 AM
My father had a muvo and muvo tx FM. Both have a very high-pitched squeal that hurts my ears:(

Sounds painful... I didn't have a problem with mine while it lasted. It was probably the best mp3 I ever had since before I was using shady chinese no-name products. Now that you mention it, it must have been a tx FM as well cause it had radio.

NightwishFan
July 1st, 2010, 02:24 AM
My SanDisk Sansa Fuze 4 GB. It plays Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. ;)

Thanks for the idea. I may get something like this.

Simian Man
July 1st, 2010, 02:34 AM
I either have my netbook with me, or I use my my Walkman (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZS545BLK-Video-Player/dp/B002IPHA1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277937520&sr=1-1). No, I'm not stuck in the 90's, Sony continued the name and has made some killer mp3 players down the road.

I have the EXACT same mp3 player which I actually won in a contest. It has noticeably better sound quality than my old iPod nano, and has a bigger screen. I also love the radio feature and think it's insane all mp3 players don't have one. But then Apple can't charge you for listening to the radio can they? :)

Ogg support would be nice, but other than that, a great little player.

KiwiNZ
July 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
iPod Touch

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM
Big pocketses?

No, it will fit in any standard back pocket, or front pocket for that matter. The un-lightness of it doesn't bother me. I just can't see paying money for a dedicated mp3 player when I have a device that plays mp3's. K.I.S.S.

Timmer1240
July 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM
Ipod nano 8gigs its alright would like a bigger one though

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 03:07 AM
I have the EXACT same mp3 player which I actually won in a contest. It has noticeably better sound quality than my old iPod nano, and has a bigger screen. I also love the radio feature and think it's insane all mp3 players don't have one. But then Apple can't charge you for listening to the radio can they? :)The latest iPod Nano actually has a radio tuner built in. Unfortunately the others don't.

WinterRain
July 1st, 2010, 03:11 AM
The latest iPod Nano actually has a radio tuner built in. Unfortunately the others don't.

You couldn't think of a longer, more discombobulated username? lol

KiwiNZ
July 1st, 2010, 03:15 AM
You couldn't think of a longer, more discombobulated username? lol

Be thankful he didn't chose ' Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu ' :p

And that is a genuine name

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 03:16 AM
You couldn't think of a longer, more discombobulated username? lolAll the other names I could think of were taken. :)
I've thought about changing it, but then I'd loose my personality.

Lightstar
July 1st, 2010, 03:47 AM
I used to watch my videos and listen to my music on my Meizu m6. Awesome device, back then it would beat any ipods easily. I think I'm gonna sell it.

http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/test2007/pm_meizu_m6_miniplayer_f.jpg

Now I do it all on my motorola milestone / droid

http://www.mobilephones-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Motorola-Milestone.jpg

Redo
July 1st, 2010, 04:37 AM
Cowon iAudio 7, supports all the fun formats

http://hardwaretechreview.com/wp-content/uploads/cowon-iaudio-7-1.jpg

Captain Smiley Pants
July 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM
I have the EXACT same mp3 player which I actually won in a contest. It has noticeably better sound quality than my old iPod nano, and has a bigger screen. I also love the radio feature and think it's insane all mp3 players don't have one. But then Apple can't charge you for listening to the radio can they? :)

Ogg support would be nice, but other than that, a great little player.

Man, I noticed the post about the nano and all, but I remember a long time about about how my friends were so happy that they FINALLY got their FM tuner dongle thing for the old iPods. Think it cost them around $30 - $40 easily... I mean geeze, come on! Poor fools.

I used to have a Sansa e200 something series as well. Oh, and it has FM built into it as well. How is that not a selling point, do people honestly not listen to the radio anymore?

And how could I forget that you could put Rockbox on that thing. I would still be using it, but I think it was only around like 4 gigs and I had bought it in like 2004 or 5 and it's managed to somehow still work to this day (I only use it when I need a spare external drive source or something), even though the screen is cracked to hell and you have to mash it down as you turn it on so everything connects and it can function. Aren't solid state cycles not supposed to last that long?

Oh well, Gods Speed little Sansa. :cry:

Hman242
July 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
I currently use the last generation iPod Nano but I've been looking at the Sansa Fuze lately. It's able to play the slotRadio cards, which is going to be the closest I can get to a mobile Last.fm player.

surfer
July 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM
ipod video (5G) with rockbox on it, the files are in .ogg .

i'm not all that happy with rockbox; it's pretty slow. and - being a squeezebox fan - i miss the "random album" play mode.

gemmakaru
July 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
I just remember my favourite songs and play them in my head. Sometimes I like to sing along with them too if no one is around to hear me.

Shakz
July 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Martin backpacker.
A fine guitar. They were really big when I was in the service. Seemed like every other guy had one.

I use my blackberry myself.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
That's okay, the servers are having a read error. I like your PMP alternative, though

dondiego2
July 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have a 5th generation 60 gig iPod that I have had for a while. I absolutely love it! I have tried Rockbox on it and it was OK but it doesn't have some of the features that the Apple software has. I couldn't figure out how to play videos with it and it was too much work trying to get podcasts in their own folder. I didn't want to program my OS, I just wanted to listen to music.

I use it for music, podcasts and games. I usually get my news, tech news, Linux news etc. from my iPod through different podcasts that I listen to a lot when driving. I have an iPod hook-up in my car and it beats the heck out of the radio.

I also have a little Sansa Clip that I use occasionally for running.

I don't know about the latest iPod products but when I bought mine, a few years ago, I thought it was the best player out there at the time.

Right now I have an HTC Incredible Android phone on order - it should be here towards the end of July. I don't think I'll use that for music but I'll wait until I get it.

julio_cortez
July 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
or I use my my Walkman (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZS545BLK-Video-Player/dp/B002IPHA1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277937520&sr=1-1). No, I'm not stuck in the 90's, Sony continued the name and has made some killer mp3 players down the road.
I totally agree. My Walkman (http://ployer.com/archives/upload/2006/05/NW-E005_2.jpg) is the only (technological) thing I really couldn't live without.
It has served me for several years now.. And I hope it will continue serving flawlessly!! :D

ratcheer
July 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
iPod. I would like to have one of the new ones, but I inherited a 30 GB Classic from my son when he got his Touch. It is plenty for me, it still plays great.

Tim

madnessjack
July 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
HTC Desire :D

Android could do with some more functionality in this department, such as EQ or star-ratings. Otherwise perfect!

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry, off topic, but are others having an error now with pages or is it just me?

Nano Geek
July 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM
Well, it says I'm the only one online right now.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
bad; my CP says that this has not been posted into for four hours. I'll check backk later.

danbuter
July 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
I love my Creative Labs Zen.

I have one of these as well, and it's been great. And it works great with Linux.

Saorex
July 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'm also in love with my Creative Zen. To my tastes, it's the best MP3 player for sound quality I've tried. I would enjoy a slightly better equalizer, but I'm extremely happy with. I've had it for over a year now... Guys at Creative have been working in the digital sound industry for... mmmmm... EVER. That's mainly why I trust their products.

But if you guys prefer to pay 60$ instead of 200$ to 300$, Sansa players are very impressive. One problem though: they tend to break easily. Everybody in my family (we're 5) has returned its Sansa (a model or another) under warranty once or twice. BUT, we're always happy with sound quality, especially for such a low price.

kamaboko
July 1st, 2010, 04:15 PM
My guitar.

gletob
July 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
I've just bought an iPod Touch 32GB, so it has to be that really. Previously I had a Toshiba F20 Gigabeat & it was bloody brilliant, sadly though Toshiba no longer makes them so I opted for the Apple.

You took the words almost exactly from my mouth, except i had a F40. I was so sad when it died:-(. But I love my new Ipod Touch though.

Did you ever put Rockbox on yours?

madnessjack
July 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
@ubunterooster (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1002708) @asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=98464)
Yeah, problems by the look of it

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9534350

CrimsonBizarre
July 1st, 2010, 04:50 PM
I do not remember the name, but I got amazing sound quality out of a Sony mp3 player I tried out when buying my last player, but it was too much money :( . I ended up getting a Samsung YP-Q1 16gb, which is OK, but I filled it with music and am looking to buy another new mp3 player now.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
I do not remember the name, but I got amazing sound quality out of a Sony mp3 player I tried out when buying my last player, but it was too much money :( . I ended up getting a Samsung YP-Q1 16gb, which is OK, but I filled it with music and am looking to buy another new mp3 player now.
get one with a SD or microSD slot; you can always put more music on them

Lucifer The Dark
July 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM
120Gb Ipod Classic with an FM tuner dongle that cost me £2.

sgosnell
July 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM
About a 50/50 split between my Samsung phone and a SanDisk Fuze. The phone has bluetooth, so I can stream to my stereo in the car while driving, and I mostly use the Fuze at home, through speakers, even though it's portable. One of the most important features of both is the microSD card slot. No card slot, no sale, for me.

Marlonsm
July 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
My (dumb)phone does it just fine for me.
It might not have a huge storage and the battery life isn't the best. But I don't really need more than that.

Wobblybob
July 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have an iPod Classic 80GB which I use Floola to manage on Ubuntu, not a great fan of Apple but I bought it before Ubuntu became my o/s of choice. When/if it fails I'll look for a player more compatible with linux.

scouser73
July 2nd, 2010, 12:32 AM
You took the words almost exactly from my mouth, except i had a F40. I was so sad when it died:-(. But I love my new Ipod Touch though.

Did you ever put Rockbox on yours?

No mate, could never work out how to install it, lol.

mthei
July 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
My Panasonic Shockwave (Cassette) has served me well for over ten years, and I still use it frequently. It was only a few weeks ago that I finally picked up a Sansa Fuze (after doing much research on portable media players, including looking through a lot of reviews, as well as a lot of praise on these very boards), mainly because my Shockwave has outlasted many of my favourite tapes. I'm very pleased with it.
However, I still tend to use the term "walkman" to refer to both.
I also have a nameless brand portable CD player, which I only really use at night before I go to bed.

ShowMeGrrl
July 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I agree about the Creative Zen. I absolutely love mine and it has suffered through some abuse.

My only problem is that the software that came with it for loading it from the PC is Microsoft. I can go without that software and simply use Banshee to load mp3s onto my Zen. Is there an MP3 player with Linux software? Which MP3 players are most Linux friendly?

mamamia88
July 4th, 2010, 09:11 PM
i think creative makes more durable mp3 players than sansa. my original mp3 player was a creative zen and i accidently put it through washing machine. after it dried out it worked fine. i've had to have my sansa mp3 players repaired multiple times

Theft42
July 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
My iPod touch as that's the only mp3 player I have had....

sgosnell
July 4th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I use Nautilus, or rsync. You can just drag and drop if you want, and that's the way I usually do it. If you want an actual sync, rsync does the job, and if you want a GUI, grsync is a GUI frontend for rsync. I've never seen the need for dedicated software just to copy music to a device.

beast2k
July 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Car radio.

steveneddy
July 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM

+1 - Blackberry Curve

Also XM radio in my personal vehicle.

neoargon
July 5th, 2010, 06:06 AM
My nokia phone

fualad
July 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Samsung Pebble YP-S2ZB $20 and tiny

ubunterooster
July 6th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Is there an MP3 player with Linux software? Which MP3 players are most Linux friendly?
http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/o2/

The cowon O2 (O2=dioxide=oxygen, get it; it goes everywhere:rolleyes:) even has software for writing your own programs for it in Linux!

Cowon seems to be pretty Linux-friendly as their players go

Cam!
July 6th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I'm using an iPhone 3G, although by the end of the month I'll have upgraded to an iPhone 4.

Chronon
July 6th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Higher capacity HD-based:
Toshiba Gigabeat F40

Lower capacity flash-based:
SanDisk Sansa Clip or e280

All run Rockbox.

YuiDaoren
July 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I recently got a SanDisk Sansa Clip. Darn thing just worked, MTP from Rhythmbox. Nice sound.

domzals1
July 6th, 2010, 03:29 AM
my blackberry 9700. <3

Epik Matt
July 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I used to use my Sansa Fuze. Wonderful device. Played music clearly and recorded audio very well. Now I have an iPod Touch and I let my sister use my Sansa, but she let my niece borrow it, and somehow it was destroyed. The iPod Touch is also good. I love it. I can play games, connect to various websites and online stuff via wifi, and listen to music with the option of an internal speaker (no headphones needed). It's a wonderful device.

cartman640
July 6th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Well my preferred portable music device would be my car :p Can't beat a stereo that the power output is measured in kilowatts :D

For a device that I can actually fit in my pocket, I have two, the first one (which I always have with me) is my iPhone 3GS.

The second player I use is my Cowon D2, it contains only FLAC, and I use only my Sennheiser HD555s and it sounds awesome.

beavis5551
July 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM

+1

and it works great.

pwnst*r
July 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Tossup between my iPod and the Cowon D2

RiceMonster
July 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Cowon D2. No required software, and it supports flac and ogg.

xinix
July 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
My nokia phone

Same here, paired with bluetooth headphones.

sydbat
July 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
+1 - Blackberry Curve

Also XM radio in my personal vehicle.Nice avatar! Rick Nielson FTW!

Ozor Mox
July 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I use my HTC Desire for music. I've used my phone instead of an MP3 player for years now.

MindSz
July 6th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Sansa Clip 4GB ... After 4 years, it has withstood more things than I can remember and it still works fine. It's enough for me.

nahrees
July 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I just use Pandora or Slacker on my Pre. :)