PDA

View Full Version : Russian spies used stegonagraphy via website images

Sporkman
June 30th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Russian Spies Hid Secret Codes in Online Photos

livescience.com – Wed Jun 30, 12:01 pm ET

The alleged Russian spies recently arrested by the FBI are accused of encoding messages into otherwise innocuous pictures, marking the first confirmed use of this high-tech form of data concealment in real life, experts say.

The accused spies posted the seemingly mundane photos on publicly accessible websites, but then extracted coded messages from the computer data of the pictures, according to the criminal complaint filed by the FBI. Although computer scientists have theorized about the existence of this communication technique for over a decade, this is the first publicly acknowledged use of the technique...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100630/sc_livescience/russianspieshidsecretcodesinonlinephotos

McRat
June 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
... nws

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM
stegonagrapghy is all around us...in all color printers, in many publicly pasted pictures ( to define ownership) and in (in a slightly altered way) in many musical pieces. I did a more in-depth study on this a few months back

SoFl W
July 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM
stegonagrapghy is all around us...in all color printers, in many publicly pasted pictures ( to define ownership) and in (in a slightly altered way) in many musical pieces. I did a more in-depth study on this a few months back

Just color printers? I know that your printer's serial number is printed microscopically while printing.

ubunterooster
July 1st, 2010, 02:08 AM
True, I had to look that up. Color printers print it in yellow and black/white printers do it in black

Moozillaaa
July 1st, 2010, 03:22 AM
Just color printers? I know that your printer's serial number is printed microscopically while printing.

I heard that once a few years ago. Thought it was paranoia/conspiracy stuff.

Better run your printouts through a second time! :-\"