View Full Version : [ubuntu] PCMan hosed my desktop

June 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I heard good things about PCMan and wanted to try it because I hate Nautilus. When I installed it and rebooted, all my desktop icons are gone. So I uninstalled pcman and still no icons. I can go to a terminal and type "Nautilus" and they come back but they disappear when I exit the terminal.
HELP! Please!

June 30th, 2010, 11:11 PM
use alt+f2 to launch nautilus

go to preferences-> startup
save the session so it can start just like that.

June 30th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I believe that Nautilus is, on a default gnome set-up, responsible for drawing the icons on your desktop. So, in the absence anything else to draw your desktop, if Nautilus isn't running, you won't see the icons. If you're starting Nautilus from a terminal then, when you kill the terminal, you kill nautilus, and that's why you're seeing the behaviour you see.

I think you have two options: either (a) go back to Ubuntu's default behaviour of running nautilus on start up and leave it running, and use it to draw the desktop; (b) keep nautilus turned of and install and deploy another programme to draw the desktop. I can't give any advice on (b) - a quick flick through software centre revealed idesk. Maybe try it or perhaps others could chip in with suggestions.

July 1st, 2010, 12:10 AM
kerry_s, thanks but no go.
yossell, I would like it to default like it was, but not sure how to make it right again.
I want Nautilus to start when the system loads but I can't make it default again.
Man, I should have left it alone.

July 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM

it's likely to be buried somewhere in one of the eye-wateringly many boxes in configuration editor. I'm guessing here, but my first go would be to try the following.

in a terminal. In the left hand panel, navigate to desktop-gnome-session-required_components.

Selecting required_components should, on the right hand panel, bring up filemanager and panel and windowmanager. If the value for filemanager is pcmanfm, there's your problem. Select it, and replace it with nautilus. When you log out and log in, hopefully it will run at startup.