PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what happens to my beta?

wideyes
June 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Kind of noobish question here, but I'm currently running a beta install of 10.04. I needed a new OS and didn't want to wait for the official 10.04 release. I am in no way actually qualified to beta test any piece of software - I just did it for my own convenience. My question is, once the official release came out, and I continued to install my updates as usual, did my beta automagically catch up with and become the official release? Is the official release just the version of the beta that they finally put out to the public? I'm a little hazy on this. Clarification would be appreciated!

BTW, for me and my uses, I've found 10.04 to be the best Ubuntu yet, with many improvements that I had been wanting. Thanks a bundle!

vegetarianshrimp
June 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Go to System->About Ubuntu to see exactly what version you're running. Hope this helps! :D

wideyes
June 30th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks! It did list 10.04 LTS as my version, with no mention of Beta. Would it be listed as a beta version if it were?

howefield
June 30th, 2010, 11:50 PM
My question is, once the official release came out, and I continued to install my updates as usual, did my beta automagically catch up with and become the official release?

Yes.

Open a terminal and type

cat /etc/lsb-release

if it doesn't say Development release anywhere in there, you have full release.

vegetarianshrimp
June 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Would it be listed as a beta version if it were?
I'm not sure...try howefield's method above.

wideyes
July 1st, 2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks Howefield, that did it! I'm "official"! This gives me some peace of mind knowing that my prerelease version is now up to date. You guys are great.