PDA

View Full Version : computer janitor for kde?

cespinal
June 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM
quick question... I have bloated my system with lots and lots of software I am not using anymore...

I dont know for sure if linux gets slower over time, but I do believe refreshing my system just wont harm

is there any friendly way to achieve this? doing a fresh install just beats one of the main points of migrating from windows...so I would like to run an app or command that gets rid of a whole bunch if installed apps...

thanks for the advices kiddos :P

ajgreeny
June 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Just remove the applications you definitely don't use, then either in synaptic use the Status->Installed (auto-removable) from the left hand column, or simply use
sudo apt-get autoremove in terminal to get rid of any dependencies of those applications. I prefer the synaptic route, as it is much easier to see what is about to be removed, and decline to allow some of those to go by using the Custom Filters->Marked Changes, again available in the left column.

Or, of course you could just do nothing! Ubuntu and other Linux distros do not generally get slower when applications are added; it may make the menus more difficult to navigate, but there is no huge registry file that can bog down the system, as Windows has