PDA

View Full Version : If you have a touchscreen smartphone, do you hold it in your left or right hand?

aysiu
June 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm just curious, in light of the iPhone 4 signal issue.

Poll will be posted within a few minutes.

Phrea
June 30th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I don't have one, but I would hold it in my left hand, using my right hand to navigate.

EDIT: I should note that I have used a few, and then held it in my left hand, using right hand to navigate.
But since I'm not really sure, I voted:
I'm right-handed and hold it in either hand but favor left

ve4cib
June 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm predominantly right-handed (except for a few tasks, like archery, golf, and hockey -- all of which I do left-handed).

With my phone generally do one of the following (in decreasing order of frequency):

1- hold it in my right hand and flick around with my right thumb, leaving my left hand out of the equation entirely

2- hold the phone in my left hand and use my right hand to tap the screen

3- hold the phone in both hands to use the hardware keyboard

4- hold the phone in my right hand and tap the screen with my left (pretty rare; only when there's a control somewhere that I can't quite reach with my right thumb)

My phone has a resistive screen, so I never need more than a single finger to manipulate the screen, which may affect things slightly.

Tristam Green
June 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I'm just curious, in light of the iPhone 4 signal issue.

Poll will be posted within a few minutes.

I don't really know. I don't have antenna issues lol.

fatality_uk
June 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
When using the screen, I hold it left hand and use right hand. However, I use it both left and right hand equally.

aysiu
June 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't really know. I don't have antenna issues lol.
I don't have antenna issues, either... or an iPhone for that matter. I'm just curious, because some of the "news" articles and blogs I've read about the problem seem to indicate Apple is prejudiced against left-handed people, but as far as I can tell a lot of right-handed people hold touchscreen phones in their left hands either sometimes or all the time.

RiceMonster
June 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Well, I have a touchscreen mp3 player, so I think that's good enough. I never thought about the way I hold it, but it's always in the left hand (I'm right handed). I tried it in the right, and it felt really akward.

aysiu
June 30th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I have a touchscreen mp3 player, so I think that's good enough. I never thought about the way I hold it, but it's always in the left hand (I'm right handed). I tried it in the right, and it felt really akward.
I feel the same way, which is why "news" stories like these make no sense to me: Apple criticized by left-handed org over iPhone 4 (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20008950-71.html):
According to the Telegraph, the Left-Handers Club, which numbers some 90,000 members, claims Apple is "discriminating" against those whose left hand is their chosen one.

Lauren Milsom, who runs the Left-Handers Club, told the Telegraph: "I would strongly suggest that Steve Jobs employs left-handers in his design and testing team in future, and urgently address this issue to ensure the phone is fit for purpose." It seems a lot of right-handed people hold their phones in the left hand, so I don't see how Steve Jobs employing left-handers would help.

prshah
June 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I used to hold it in the left hand and then hunt and peck the onscreen keyboard with the right; but lately, after installing swype, it's rarely out of my right hand.

blur xc
June 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm right handed and hold it in my left hand while uisng the touch screen interface- but when making calls I'm pretty much ambidextrious with the phone. If I'm not doing anything I'll hold it in my right hand, but if I need to write something down or something, I'll hold it in my left- but if it's a really long call I'll switch between hands as needed to alieve arm/ear fatigue.

BM

Spr0k3t
June 30th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I'm primarily right handed and ambidexterous at most things... but I hold my phone on my left as I have little to no hearing on my right. So when I'm "surfing face", I'm holding the phone with my left, and only my left, but tappaty-tapping with my right or both. The only time I have it in my right hand is when I have a call coming in and I need to swipe to answer.

If I would have known this poll was about the whole apple kanundrum, I wouldn't have voted because I hate apple. Microsoft is only marginally better by a fraction of a hair in my book.

aysiu
June 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
If I would have known this poll was about the whole apple kanundrum, I wouldn't have voted because I hate apple. Microsoft is only marginally better by a fraction of a hair in my book. I don't see how voting in this poll indicates that you like Apple. The whole conundrum just got me thinking about the assumption a lot of folks seem to have that being right-handed means you probably hold your phone in your right hand. These poll results seem to indicate that isn't a safe assumption.

Spr0k3t
June 30th, 2010, 10:40 PM
True that aysiu. I'm sure one of the designers asked Steve Jobs which hand he holds his phone in and he responded with something like "I'm right handed, what do you think". But then, I know you are one of the few mac users who does not follow the church of Steve, so you're cool.

dragos240
June 30th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I don't have a smartphone, my phone is lost somewhere and probably has the power of an i486 computer. It's just awful.