PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I have a problem with the windows

booterror
June 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I tried enlightenment and I didn't like how it worked, so I uninstalled it. I don't know what happened. It wrecked all my windows and I can't connect to the internet now. the bar at the top of every window is gone, and my network icon is gone from the toolbar. How do i put it back the way it was?

wilee-nilee
June 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I tried enlightenment and I didn't like how it worked, so I uninstalled it. I don't know what happened. It wrecked all my windows and I can't connect to the internet now. the bar at the top of every window is gone, and my network icon is gone from the toolbar. How do i put it back the way it was?

At the login window you can choose the desktop, if you have only had enlightenment then install another desk top from the command line in recovery.

booterror
June 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I had e16 + Gnome. it changed the little bars at the top of the windows, but still looked like Gnome. I took e16 off, and tried to use regular Gnome. Gnome is the only one on it now. How do I reinstall it?

booterror
June 30th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Ok I figured out how to do
metacity --replace in the terminal. how do I save it?

wilee-nilee
June 30th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ok I figured out how to do
metacity --replace in the terminal. how do I save it?

I think gnome is basically the Ubuntu desktop here is a link that will probably help.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

Choose your distro and just use the sliding list to reinstall. I don't know whats on the computer so this is probably your best approach.

Actually the link I gave you is for removing other desktops, just run in the terminal

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

booterror
June 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have gnome on it. I just don't seem to have a window manager.

When I try to go to the window settings in preferences it says 'Cannot start the preferences application for your window manager. Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration tool.'

CJ_Hudson
June 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I don't want to sound mendacious but I think your computer has been taken over by the little green men!

booterror
June 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
got the solution from reddit.

"open gconf-editor and go to desktop->gnome->session->required_components and change the windowmanager key value to metacity"