PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Engage Dock?

smain
June 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hi all

I've been looking around for a lightweight alternative to AWN, since I only use it as a taskbar. The only alternative I have been able to find however is the E17 dock called "Engage Dock"

"Engage Dock" however seems almost impossible to install on Ubuntu. Does anyone know of another alternative, or could someone maybe give some help as howto install "Engage Dock"?

Virtua-Touch
June 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
You could try reading this topic. Don't k ow if it will work though because it's from 2005.

smain
June 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Ehm I think you forgot a link...

fabounet
July 2nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
yuo might try GLX-Dock (few dependances), or Docky (but it's based on Mono), both are probably easier to install than Engage because they use GTK, which you probably already have installed.

smain
July 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hmm the problem with those is that both are as resource heavy as AWN which defeats the purpose of finding a lightweight alternative.

Since I only use the dock as a tasklist I wont need all the extra features these great but resource heavty docks pack.

fabounet
July 3rd, 2010, 01:05 AM
why not using Tint2 then ? it's a taskbar.

loell
July 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
If i'm not mistaken engage dock depends on some obsoleted libraries, that would be the main reason why it won't compile and install in ubuntu or any recent distribution.

smain
July 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hmm but can Tint2, be made to only show the icons, and make them say like 40 px?... Because that is the way I would like it to look (so that it still resembels a dock, but only serves as a tasklist)

However I have found another solution so far. I have installed the newest version of ADesk Bar. However it can only reserve screen space when it it is maximized, so to fix that I have placed a fully transparent gnome-panel beneath it to reserve the space. Since I already use gnome-panel as a top panel does it not take much extra memory to have the second panel, also ADesk Bar is really resource light.

Maybe that is the one to keep an eye on, I'm almost sure this issue witht he reserved screen space will be fixed ^^