PDA

View Full Version : update speed seems to have improved in 10.04

irv
June 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Since I installed 10.04 I find my updates install much faster. When I do updates I do my updates on my laptop and server at the same time, and I can't believe how fast they both run even though I do them at the same time. I don't know if there was some changes made to this process or if it is just my Internet speed has improved that much.
This morning I had about 50 some updates for my laptop and 40 some updates for my server. It took about 3 1/2 minutes to do both. Unbelievable! And not like windows; I didn't have to reboot. (No kernel updates). I did have to restart Firefox because it was updated.

ubunterooster
June 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Yes, the update process has been updated (sounds funny though)

chriswyatt
June 30th, 2010, 05:03 PM
The software center database updating is sloooooow though. That's slowed down things a bit I noticed.

irv
June 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The software center database updating is sloooooow though. That's slowed down things a bit I noticed.

I notice that install apps via Ubuntu Software Center is slower then doing install from the Synaptic Package Manager or the command line in a terminal.

Frogs Hair
June 30th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I just upgraded the software center via the ppa and it's very nice , it has some new features including update history, new software section, and featured applications . There were 49 total packages upgraded, but I have not used it for an installation yet.

irv
June 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I just upgraded the software center via the ppa and it's very nice , it has some new features including update history, new software section, and featured applications . There were 49 total packages upgraded, but I have not used it for an installation yet.

Is this the latest version? 161986

Frogs Hair
June 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
No, it is now this.

irv
June 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
No, it is now this.

Are you running Maverick Meerkat? I am going to wait until the version is released in Oct. I am running 10.04. If I try to install the .deb file I get error because I don't have all the supported files needed.

Frogs Hair
June 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
You can get Lucid ppa information @ Web Upd8 .org . I also upgraded Rythmbox as well.

irv
July 1st, 2010, 05:40 PM
You can get Lucid ppa information @ Web Upd8 .org . I also upgraded Rythmbox as well.

Thanks for the info, but I am going to wait until I upgrade to 10.10 in Oct. I keep two hard drives for my laptop, and I keep one in tack and do my upgrades on the other. This way I can alway go back to the previous OS if I have problems. It only takes me a few minutes to switch them out. Right now if I put the other drive in, I would be back in 9.04 and windows vista. The drive I now have in my laptop is windows 7 and 10.04. You would be surprised how easy this makes life.
I did check out webup8.org and some of the things coming to 10.10 look good.