PDA

View Full Version : Help me recover encrypted home and stop me going bk 2 windows

cra1g321
June 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I really need help recovering a encrypted home folder thats in a ubuntu partition. Im currently using a linux mint live cd as the ubuntu partition doesnt boot. I have about 140gb of stuff in my home folder that isnt backed up (was backuped on a external HD but needed the space, was hoping ubuntu would be fine for a day or so)

I really need to get this sorted, i was expecting this to be easy but clearly isnt. Ive tried a few tutorials and still nuthin.

I dont realyl want to go back to windows 7 but if i dont get this sorted then i might. Cos this process of recorving a encrypted home folder. should of been user-friendly.

If any1 wants to help heres a link 2 my post - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9530229#post9530229

conundrumx
June 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
First off, you should really work on making your posts more readable. Proper spelling and grammar goes a long way to getting you help.

Recovering an encrypted disk image is easy - if you save all the information they give you when you make it. Did you write down, or in any way preserve any information from when you created the encrypted home folder?

betrunkenaffe
June 30th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I dont realyl want to go back to windows 7 but if i dont get this sorted then i might. Cos this process of recorving a encrypted home folder. should of been user-friendly.

From what I understand, it is, you just need the information when you created it. Otherwise, the security feature isn't so secure and in fact becomes rather pointless and might as well have not been done in the first place.

McRat
June 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
nevermind

cariboo
June 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
You already have a thread going in the support section, no need for another thread here. Closed.