PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Way too ugly Opera menus in Lucid

mahy
June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hi there,

I'm having a problem with Opera browser after upgrading from Karmic to Lucid. Honestly, Opera never looked nice in Ubuntu "out of box", but I always managed to tweak it somehow. In Karmic I installed the "Polymer" Qt theme and activated it using qt-config. Now it simply doesn't help and the new Gnome theme makes the Opera menus look even fuglier than usually. Screenshots for both Opera and Firefox provided.

Does anybody have an idea how to make Opera menus look nice, clean, and (optionally) in line with the Gnome theme? Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

A_T
July 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
What font are you using in Opera? I use Dejavu Sans and system fonts set for subpixel smoothing. Looks great.

mahy
July 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM
What font are you using in Opera? I use Dejavu Sans and system fonts set for subpixel smoothing. Looks great.

The fonts "in Opera" (e.g. webpages, internal windows) are okay, and so are the system fonts, which look good in other applications. Only the *menus*, taken from the Qt theme are horrible.

mahy
July 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I downloaded the new Opera 10.60 (dynamically linked Qt) and it looks okay, so no help needed anymore.

FionnMc
August 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I downloaded the new Opera 10.60 (dynamically linked Qt) and it looks okay, so no help needed anymore.
Could you expand on how you did this?
I have the same issue as you reported in your first post. Opera is now way to ugly to use. How did you dynamically link Qt?
I'm on Xubuntu Lucid Lynx.

Edit: Never mind. I downgraded back to version 10.10 which works fine for me. :)