PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Dell

Georgia boy
June 30th, 2010, 01:27 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-FaultyComputer-Suit-Window-nytimes-2375403564.html?x=0

Hi. Don't know if any of you have read this or not. Was sent to me in an email. Very interesting article. Might want to check out your system if bought during this time frame.

Monitors, if you deem that this might be suited to be posted elsewhere please do so. I'm not putting down the company. Just passing along some interesting information.

Tom

RiceMonster
June 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Mine was built after that time frame, and it still broke 3 times. I don't think it's limited to a specific time frame.

jetsam
June 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I like how when the UT math department complained, Dell told them to stop running so many calculations... hmm.

It's a good head's up to watch out for old Optiplexes. I bet a bunch of people are using these systems because they're dirt cheap and off lease right now. 2003-05 is the time frame, but as mentioned above, maybe longer.

The problem is bad caps in the power supplies. I had a power supply go on a Dell once, but thankfully there was enough warning (gradually increasing noticeable smokey smell over a period of days) to save the system before it truly blew. I think the replacement power supply was free.

madnessjack
June 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
It's not a secret that companies like this re-furbish machines and chuck them back in the product line. You're probably gonna get a very small quantity of faulty machines if you do it. As long as Dell hold their hands up and sort the issue out ASAP then there isn't an issue IMO

endotherm
June 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I'm suprised that only dell is getting this treatment. IBM also bought a huge number of those bad caps. I worked at a college in '04, and we had to replace 200+ boxes in our largest newest lab, because everyone of them had bad caps. the school tried to ignore it, but since they outsourced their PC hardware repair work, the firm doing the work kinda insisted.

McRat
June 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Here's the problem with a lawsuit like this.

What happens when you make a company legally liable for purchasing ElCheapo Brand components? Or make them liable for not producing the best goods they possibly can?

Answer, the cost of all consumer goods go up.

Yes, Dell should have been more active when they found they had a problem. However, every product you buy has "problems" that the MFR knows about. Period. There is not one company I've ever worked with that did not have a MRB (material review board) and corrective action system. On a modern airplane, there are THOUSANDS of MRB actions on the components, yet aircraft are arguably the best quality manufactured product in the world.

Dell made some crappy computers, but they had a warranty. Most companies, including BMW, Mercedes, Sony, Microsoft, HP, Acer, Toshiba, Canon, etc, etc, etc, have made some crappy products during their existence. And guess what? They knew about it.

If lawsuits like this become the norm, if you want low prices you'll have to buy from countries that have more lax product warranty laws. ie - They can produce crap and the warranty will be written on toilet paper.

Oddly enough, they are suing Dell not the capacitor company. Anyone think the engineering doc (whitesheet) for the cap said "This is a piece of crap that won't last 3 years?", or do you think it said, MTBF = 1,000,000 hours?

endotherm
June 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Oddly enough, they are suing Dell not the capacitor company. Anyone think the engineering doc (whitesheet) for the cap said "This is a piece of crap that won't last 3 years?", or do you think it said, MTBF = 1,000,000 hours?

in us civil courts, you sue the one who caused you redressable harm/damages. as the plaintiffs have no relationship with the capacitor manf, it's inappropriate to name them in the suit except in evidence.

it's the same reason the us govt can't hold haliburton or transoceanic liable for the gulf thing. the haliburton blow-out protector was much of the issue, but we can only sue BP, and let them sue their suppliers.

bondo101
June 30th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Iv'e got a dimension from 2007 had to reload vista twice . I updated the bios added a new proc and more memmory it works fine. Un till this winter when i convert it a linux machine. Yes windoze does suck . But when i bought it i wasn't concerned about the operating system i keep windows on there for my wife . Ya dell should be sued for there old shell game one price on line one price in flyers and lie lie about how good there machines are. Just remember electronics are throwaway now. They don't build any thing to last unless ya tweek the hell out of it. And then sometimes it justs fails , china we can copy anything.):p

Georgia boy
July 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
So, Dell gets sued, prices goes up to cover lawsuits. Where does that leave the rest of us? How are the other brands doing? Most of us can't make our own PC/Laptops and have to depend on the mass productions that we buy. Even if you make your own, are you not taking chances that something you buy and put in is bad or will go bad just the same as what's happening to Dell? As I said before, I'm not knocking them. I think over the years they've probably done a lot better than some of the others like Gateway. I can remember when people were complaining about Gateway's products. At least Dell has been in the top along with HP, Compaq, Toshiba etc neck in neck. Who's to say what and when something will fail? It's a chance you take when you buy something. Just hope that it's covered in the warranty and that they honor it. Right?

Tom

earthpigg
July 3rd, 2010, 04:20 AM
if lawsuits drive the prices of OEM computers up significantly, individuals building machines and selling them on craigslist under the radar can make a killing.

and as long as these under-radar builders purchase individual parts that all have individual warranties, they can even maintain a warranty without to much undue risk: if the computer breaks, customer can drop it off at the hOEM, who can then diagnose it and make the warranty claim to the manufacturer of the busted component on behalf of his/her customer.

endotherm
July 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
So, Dell gets sued, prices goes up to cover lawsuits. Where does that leave the rest of us?

there are a couple flaws in your assertion (that in the free market we would be better off without these lawsuits). the first is the assumption that prices are actually tied directly to cost. the price of a given consumer good is determined by what people are willing to pay for it, not the amount it costs + a static markup. for instance it was only just this last week that PS3 sales became profitable. most phones are sold at less than cost as well. alpmost all video games cost 50$ new, but they can;t all cost exactly the same to make. the marketing types set the msrp, not the beancounters.

secondly, if they are selling bad PCs, then it doesn;t really matter how much the price goes up, since they are still bad computers. most would argue that this is the free market working correctly to remove a bad company from the mix. their price goes up whilst their competitors doesn't. they lose sales, and go out of business. this is the way its supposed to work, assuming capitalism does in fact work. of course relying on caplialism to function in this 'too big to fail' market is tantamount to suicide, but...