PDA

View Full Version : Linux versions of my Windows games?

Wertigon
February 13th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Hey all, recently discovered that I have a couple of titles around that has actually been ported to Linux - Namely, Sim City 3000 and Railroad Tyccoon 2 (Gold Edition).

It'd be nice if I could get them up and running in Linux, but it appears Loki Games doesn't have a download link to the Linux binaries. Is it possible for me to get the binaries from the net somewhere, seeing as I own the games themselves already? Or do I really have to buy the separate Linux versions to get it running on my Linux system?

Mr_Smiley
February 13th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Unfortunately for those certain games I'm fairly sure you do actually have to buy the seperate Linux version of the game if you want to be able to play them under Linux. Now that Loki Games doesn't exist it will make it very hard to find a copy of those games http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif.

Wertigon
February 13th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Unfortunately for those certain games I'm fairly sure you do actually have to buy the seperate Linux version of the game if you want to be able to play them under Linux. Now that Loki Games doesn't exist it will make it very hard to find a copy of those games http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif.
Aww, shucks... Well, if that's my only option then I guess I'll just keep my windows partition a while longer - I'm not gonna pay more just to get some Linux binaries to games I already own, it's a matter of principles, sorry. Too bad that you just can't get the Linux binary patches in a stand-alone format... =/

valadil
February 13th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Don't quote me on this but if you were to download copies of those games - I know I've seen them around on bittorrent sites - that may actually be legal seeing as you are a legal owner of the games. It's exactly like being allowed to download a rom if you own the console game in question. Even if this is a little sketchy legally, it seems legit morally.

sard
February 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately morality and legality are often not the same thing :-)

Perfect Storm
February 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM
True, so true, sard.

Wertigon, you could also try running those game with Cedega. Check www.transgaming.com if one or more of your games are supported.