PDA

View Full Version : My 'new' system (Pics in a few days)

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 06:28 AM
With all the computers I've acquired over the past few years, I decided to build myself a new computer workspace. I'm having to build a new desk for maximum efficiency (a kind of U shape) with a 20" LCD monitor in front of me, a 17" LCD on my left and a 24", 1920x1540, extraordinarily heavy CRT monitor on the right. It's a motley assortment but you know what they say, functionality over having to actually buy monitors. Now, powering the monitors:

The main 20" LCD monitor will be powered by my desktop computer with older hardware, nvidia geforce4, 1.5 GB RAM, 200GB of disk space and one of the last P4 processors used in production machines, 65nm scale, 2.4GHz (until I get a newer computer in a few months). That will be my general purpose computer, powerful enough for all the gaming I do (Tremulous, regnum, warcraft). It runs slackware 13.1.

The one on the right will be powered by a toshiba satellite laptop (2007) with the most powerful graphics card I have, an ATI Radeon (got this one recently). It has a 64 bit AMD dual core processor, 160GB of disk space and 2GB of RAM. Why they built it with a 64 bit processor without going over RAM limit of 32 bit though escapes me. That's going to be the one I use for all of the design work I do in blender and GIMP for the MMO I'm currently working on, that's why it got the HD, extremely large, CRT monitor, both for size and quality. As far as affordable displays go, CRT color quality is second only to plasma, and plasma displays are almost always larger than 40 inches, making them impractical. I also plan to watch all my TV and movies on that one. It runs ubuntu lucid desktop.

The monitor on the left will either be powered by my current laptop with 2GB of ram, integrated intel graphics, 32-bit 2.4 Ghz processor, 320GB of disk space or an old desktop if I can find one. Not exactly hopeful for the latter. That one serves as my personal FTP/HTTP server though, so hardware isn't quite as important. I'll use it as a server for my MMO until it gets too big, but by the time that happens, with advertisement on the site I can probably get enough cash to order a low end, but officially named as such, server from system76 to replace it. I'm setting that one up tomorrow but It's going to run arch (already have a hard drive prepared that I've been tampering with).

Thoughts, opinions?

Bachstelze
June 30th, 2010, 06:40 AM
<insert compensation joke here>

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 06:42 AM
<insert compensation joke here>
:lolflag:

chessnerd
June 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
One part of me says: Oh my God, why would you do that?

The other part says: Oh my God, I need to do that too!!!

I have a spare old laptop and a spare CRT monitor. If I can just get a few desks I could set up a three computer system using my other two desktops...

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 06:45 AM
forgot to mention I'll obviously have file sharing between them

Bachstelze
June 30th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Seriously, though, that is not going to be very green, with all that old hardware. :o

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Seriously, though, that is not going to be very green, with all that old hardware. :o
I don't mean to be offensive but I don't really care about being green in this respect. Plenty of things have a bigger carbon footprint than 3 computers. Well the CRT monitor maybe... but if I recall correctly, my power comes from a hydroelectric plant anyway. Don't really keep up with that kind of thing though.

WinterRain
June 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/TapeOperator/jokerclapbq7.gif

chessnerd
June 30th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I don't mean to be offensive but I don't really care about being green in this respect. Plenty of things have a bigger carbon footprint than 3 computers. Well the CRT monitor maybe... but if I recall correctly, my power comes from a hydroelectric plant anyway. Don't really keep up with that kind of thing though.

Those are my thoughts when people tell me to stop using my old desktop from 2001. A guy driving a gas-guzzler is doing a heck of a lot more damage than a dozen CRT monitors. In fact, I hear that owning a dog is even worse than driving an SUV.

If you are bothered, I hear you can give Al Gore money to help clear your conscience...

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Those are my thoughts when people tell me to stop using my old desktop from 2001. A guy driving a gas-guzzler is doing a heck of a lot more damage than a dozen CRT monitors. In fact, I hear that owning a dog is even worse than driving an SUV.

If you are bothered, I hear you can give Al Gore money to help clear your conscience...
alright I doubt a dog does more damage than an SUV, and an SUV does 10^2 more damage than my setup (driving a car that gets 10MPG 10 miles to and from work every day for 5 years?), but let's stop this train of discussion- arguments get heated on environmental discussions and I don't want this thread to get closed.

Legendary_Bibo
June 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I have my laptop next to an old Dell Dimension 4600. It's all on a tiny desk too, so I don't have much space to make a mess. I have a coin jar and part of a coconut shell that I use as a candy dish. I have a keyboard and a mouse going to the old computer and my BT mouse and Wacom tablet on the right of my laptop. Everything fits and works perfectly for my desk. I'm glad I didn't save up for the larger drawing tablet, nothing would fit!