PDA

View Full Version : Which book you are reading?

anand_30
June 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Just curious which book you are reading these days.Well this may be any book eg fiction,study,related to your work and so on....

You may write short description of that book,whether you liked that book or not,you can also recommend people reading specific book which may be related to their field of work.

Myself is a lazy reader but i like story book a lot.:p

So starting with myself

I read only 2 books in my 1 month holidays--lazy reader you know.:lolflag:

1.The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Liked it a lot.Inspiration book about following your dream and achieving it.

2.The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Very thrilling,fast and exciting book.Last twist is unexpected.The impotant thing about Dan Brown's book is that a lot of things are true-such as places,even if you search on google about topics given in book you will come to know that its reality.

If this type of thread is opened already,i apologize.
(hey i am doing engineering in mechanical branch-second year you can suggest me some books which may be useful for my academics)

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 06:33 AM
the foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Very interesting premise, all fellow geeks should read it.

chessnerd
June 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM
The End is Now by Rob Stennett. It's a satirical book about the rapture and the end of the world.

the foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Very interesting premise, all fellow geeks should read it.

I own the first 4 books, I just haven't found the time to read them yet. Should I start with the Prequel or the first book?

Bachstelze
June 30th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Still The Sun Also Rises, I haven't had the time to read much lately.

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 06:41 AM
The End is Now by Rob Stennett. It's a satirical book about the rapture and the end of the world.

I own the first 4 books, I just haven't found the time to read them yet. Should I start with the Prequel or the first book?

Either is fine but I always recommend reading the first book to garner interest in the prequel. That and the first book assumes you're new to the universe; it helps with understanding the series. Would a person who watched episode I of star wars be more lost than someone who started with IV? I think so.

Chronon
June 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut

RichardLinx
June 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Under The Dome - Stephen King. I'm a little over 100 pages in. It's pretty good. :)

V for Vincent
June 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, by David Mitchell. Haven't had time to read for months due to exams, I'm glad to finally pick up a book again.

ankit.vader
June 30th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Linux for Dummies :)

Legendary_Bibo
June 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
5 Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Face by Matthew Innman. :D

I don't think he has anymore copies though. It's a bunch of comics from his website www.theoatmeal.com (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.theoatmeal.com) which is one of the sources of inspiration for my comics. :)

bikeboy
June 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins.

Would like to grab Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World next.

lisati
June 30th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I've been reading "Rebel Code" in bits and pieces over the last few months.

JDShu
June 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Finally got around to reading Lord of The Rings. Currently on the Two Towers right now :D

Helkaluin
June 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Scouting for Boys - Baden-Powell

It's interesting to actually read what he's written, and to consider how a 'boys' movement could've generated the social (if not military) impact in the UK.

Nano Geek
June 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Finally got around to reading Lord of The Rings. Currently on the Two Towers right now :DHey, me too! :)
Though this isn't my first time reading it.

Simian Man
June 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I haven't had much time for fiction lately. I have been reading Harry Potter in Spanish, but moreso to improve my Spanish than for relaxation. I need to find a new mystery series to really sink into :).

I read the first one, but was turned off by the fact that every other chapter was hundreds of years apart and all of the characters from the previous chapter had long since died.

wilee-nilee
June 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Racism Without Racist, Eduardo Bonilla-Silva

An excellent book on color blind racism and the blind rhetoric used to support it through social norms, and institutionalized discrimination that actually easily can be applied to marginalization overall. Everybody should read this book it will blow your mind.

nrs
June 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Guns, Germs, & Steel. (Again)
and for fun
Old Man's War.

ve4cib
June 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Currently I'm reading Philip K D-i-c-k's "The Crack in Space" I also started re-reading Chuck Palhaniuk's "Haunted" a while ago, but got distracted and haven't finished it yet.

Once you're done with the original Trilogy I would advice ignoring everything else Asimov wrote to tie the Foundation Trilogy in with everything else, and skip straight to Donald Kingsbury's "Psychohistorical Crisis." It's written as an unofficial sequel to Asimov's original trilogy, and provides a vastly more satisfying wrap-up to the story of psychohistory.

EDIT: Seriously D-i-c-k is censored? Really? What about people named Richard who use that as their nickname?

neoaddict
July 2nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Timmer1240
July 2nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
The last true story Ill ever tell an accidental soldiers account of the war in Iraq by John Crawford I give thanks to all those who serve or have served their country thankyou!