PDA

View Full Version : So what can I do in Ubuntu?

minichambre
June 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'm really getting into this OS now, what cool features does it have that make it stand out?

nothingspecial
June 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
What ever you want.

Freely.

This is linux ;)

indBcode
June 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
As long as you don't need anything special and an OS is a kind of a game for you, it doesn't stand out at all.

supergrav
June 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Unless you have very very specific needs, you can do anything using ubuntu without commercial software. You name what you want, there is a program that does it...

uRock
June 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Anything you want as long as it isn't Netflix.

wolf_3d
June 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Difficult to tell if you know this but installing the compiz extras from synaptic would make it stand out somewhat.

Rodney9
June 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
You can try different window mangers ie the usual KDE, Gnome or for minimal try Fluxbox or fancy try Enlightenment.

You can change themes, colours, fonts etc

Try compiz-fusion for lots of eye candy ie spinning cube desktop

You can tweak the look endlessly

There are 10's of thousands of free software to try, browse the Software Centre.

Have fun.

linux-hack
June 29th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm really getting into this OS now, what cool features does it have that make it stand out?

Your in a open world where everithing is possible ... That's the beauty of Linux :popcorn:

indBcode
June 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Your in a open world where everithing is possible ... That's the beauty of Linux :popcorn:

Who's the wizard then ? I would like him to get my webcam working :p

** There are tons of other people seeking help as there's plenty of things that aren't possible yet ..

nacho32
June 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I like it because when I hit update that's what it does, the developers spend more time making things work then to see if it's pirated , and I don't have to defrag or have to run virus programs in the back ground. I run a dual boot and do have Win 7 installed but spend more time on Ubuntu, get the Cario Dock you can really make this any way you want since it's all open source...

uRock
June 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Who's the wizard then ? I would like him to get my webcam working :p

** There are tons of other people seeking help as there's plenty of things that aren't possible yet ..

Most things are possible, but not everything has a GUI and not everyone knows enough to get things working right. Same with Windows. I know lots of people who have no clue how to maintain their own Windows machines.

sn0m
June 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
linux is ugly, really ugly when you look at it for the first time, but spend a bit of time with it, and you discover freedom and freedom is the most beautiful thing that can happen to you.
You know, life is becoming ever more suffocating. In england, where ever you go, there's a fence, a door, a camera or immigration just around the corner looking at or for you.
Well, with linux at least, freedom is there for you to embrace it and I will not change it even for most luscious, beautiful apple/windows whatever.
So I will stick with it, no matter what.
Love linux, love your freedom.

indBcode
June 29th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Most things are possible, but not everything has a GUI and not everyone knows enough to get things working right. Same with Windows. I know lots of people who have no clue how to maintain their own Windows machines.

I wasn't talking about GUI or any other kind of ability to manage your machine - the fact that Linux can't run my webcam, the fact that Linux can't run my new Sony music player .. there are a lot of things it can't do, which is why I said that everything depends on what you need. As far as I'm concerned, Linux isn't and will not be a media capable machine for next few years min. and I'm not expecting that .. I do what I do and use it's power for things other operating systems can't provide. The power lays where the need comes in play, not some awesome desktop effects and stuff like that - there are clones for that on Win32, too .. download & have fun!

madjr
June 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
subbing to a blog like
http://www.webupd8.org/

and this post install post will help you
http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2010/04/ubuntu-1004-post-install-guide-what-to.html

ubudog
June 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Well, its free (costwise, and free so you can modify it however you want) and you can do the same things in Windows, except faster! There are even awesome games for Ubuntu (check out my site below(currently offline), I have a list)

nothingspecial
June 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I wasn't talking about GUI or any other kind of ability to manage your machine - the fact that Linux can't run my webcam, the fact that Linux can't run my new Sony music player .. there are a lot of things it can't do, which is why I said that everything depends on what you need. As far as I'm concerned, Linux isn't and will not be a media capable machine for next few years min. and I'm not expecting that .. I do what I do and use it's power for things other operating systems can't provide. The power lays where the need comes in play, not some awesome desktop effects and stuff like that - there are clones for that on Win32, too .. download & have fun!

But you can do all that, if you know how to do it and are willing to do it.

I don`t.

I am thinking back a few months when a Ubuntu user`s wife got a new iPod 5G video for christmas.

He wrote a patch that got it working, before the libgpod devs. It wasn`t perfect but it worked.

That`s the point.

If you must have it work, do it yourself, if you don`t want to, then you`ll have to wait until someone else does.

That`s kind of how it works.

omkrasu
June 29th, 2010, 11:03 PM
What you may get:

Freedom, in this case is just a word. But the tons of applications, and findig solutions easily all by yourself or on some of these forums will convince you that you don't need the following as much as on the other OS's...

Let's talk about the things that are missing:

A really good (like Motion, AfterFX etc.) video editor.

CAD

iTunes and games

The solution:

There are a lot of good Linux software which may solve any problem. It needs more brains, and if you fall in love, it gets a unique beauty which you would get for money on other OS's or because of their strictness, never.

uRock
June 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM

What kind of Sony player? MP3 player? Mine works fine after a little fixing that was super easy and the Sony was at fault for not having the ability to update software. I have conquered many projects with Ubuntu and now that I have a Wii for Netflix I don't need to boot Windows for that anymore.

If you are serious about wanting to get some programming written, then you can always pay a programming firm to build software that will work for your needs, but it won't be cheap.

Timmer1240
June 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I thought Ubuntu was ugly but you cant judge a book by its cover hers what it looks like now!Shes a beauty now I love her!You can make it look like anything you want go for it!

ubudog
June 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I thought Ubuntu was ugly but you cant judge a book by its cover hers what it looks like now!Shes a beauty now I love her!You can make it look like anything you want go for it!

Is that a game?

Timmer1240
June 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM
No thats my wallpaper on my desktop!

Timmer1240
June 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Just about any damn thing you want!

ajgreeny
June 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
linux is ugly, really ugly when you look at it for the first time, but spend a bit of time with it, and you discover freedom and freedom is the most beautiful thing that can happen to you.
You know, life is becoming ever more suffocating. In england, where ever you go, there's a fence, a door, a camera or immigration just around the corner looking at or for you.
Well, with linux at least, freedom is there for you to embrace it and I will not change it even for most luscious, beautiful apple/windows whatever.
So I will stick with it, no matter what.
Love linux, love your freedom.
Linux is ugly? Since when?

There are some distros that look decidedly old-fashioned, but I certainly don't think I would agree that linux is ugly when you first look at it; different, maybe, but ugly? That's a matter of opinion, and we'll have to agree to differ.

ubudog
June 29th, 2010, 11:40 PM
No thats my wallpaper on my desktop!

But is that a screenshot of a game? (the picture of the plane)

Timmer1240
June 30th, 2010, 12:23 AM
No its an actual picture of a spitfire in flight!

ubudog
June 30th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Really? Wow.

Timmer1240
June 30th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Really? Wow.

Heres the picture if you would like it!i just set it for wallpaper and set to zoom

ubudog
June 30th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Nice!

indBcode
June 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
But you can do all that, if you know how to do it and are willing to do it.

I don`t.

I am thinking back a few months when a Ubuntu user`s wife got a new iPod 5G video for christmas.

He wrote a patch that got it working, before the libgpod devs. It wasn`t perfect but it worked.

That`s the point.

If you must have it work, do it yourself, if you don`t want to, then you`ll have to wait until someone else does.

That`s kind of how it works.

You are right, just .. there are only a few who can really take something and make it work - it requires a lot of knowledge about programming and hardware you are working with .. you can't learn it all overnight.

What kind of Sony player? MP3 player? Mine works fine after a little fixing that was super easy and the Sony was at fault for not having the ability to update software. I have conquered many projects with Ubuntu and now that I have a Wii for Netflix I don't need to boot Windows for that anymore.

If you are serious about wanting to get some programming written, then you can always pay a programming firm to build software that will work for your needs, but it won't be cheap.

MP3 .. NWZ-B142FB. Basically, I can mount it but I can't browse it - once I enter the given device, it just hangs and all I can do is kill the process ( terminal or file browser ).
Mind sharing what did you fixed to get it working ? There shouldn't be a big difference between the ways they work ..

uRock
June 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
MP3 .. NWZ-B142FB. Basically, I can mount it but I can't browse it - once I enter the given device, it just hangs and all I can do is kill the process ( terminal or file browser ).
Mind sharing what did you fixed to get it working ? There shouldn't be a big difference between the ways they work ..

I am not having that problem. When I plug it in I can mount and go through all of the folders and such.

The problem I was having came from the ripping software. There is a newer version of the MP3 coding and my older Sony MP3 wasn't compatible, so I just changed the encoder being used. I have the NWZ-E436F. It is almost 2 years old.