PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot from ISO

Sammm2514
June 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Ok, so I'm a newbie so just hang in there whilst I try to explain my problem.

I have an Acer desktop:
Aspire T671-TB7Z, Intel Pentium D 915, 160GB SATA, 1GB DDRII running on Vista Home Premium.

I have been trying for the past couple of hours to install Ubuntu onto it and have had absolutely no luck. I know that I made the disk containing the ISO correctly as it installed fine on to my laptop, I have also tried (using the guide on the website) to copy the ISO to USB. I boot from the cd drive and it just comes up with a black command screen and a cursor flashes a few times and then goes to a menu with options on how to start windows (Safe mode, etc). :confused::confused:

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

C.S.Cameron
June 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM
If you already have the iso on your Vista PC you might try a MD5SUM check of the ISO file and if that is ok download UNetbootin and use that to make a Live USB.
If the ISO checks you could also make a Live USB booting from the Live CD and using Startup Disk Creator on your laptop.

Sammm2514
June 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the advice I'll give that a try in the morning when I can get my head around it!

sgosnell
June 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
If you did an install from the CD to a laptop, it should work on a desktop. It sounds like the computer isn't actually trying to boot from the CD drive. Are you certain it's set as the first boot device in the BIOS?

wilee-nilee
June 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM
if you already have the iso on your vista pc you might try a md5sum check of the iso file and if that is ok download unetbootin and use that to make a live usb.
If the iso checks you could also make a live usb booting from the live cd and using startup disk creator on your laptop.

+1

Sammm2514
June 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
It's definately set to boot from the CD/DVD - I set that as first priority. I have it on a usb and that is set as second. It doesn't recognise any of those and just goes straight ahead and runs windows, even when I press F12 and manually choose to boot from CD/DVD. It's getting really very frustrating!

sgosnell
June 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM
It has to be either a bad CD or a problem with your BIOS. Impossible to tell from here.

wilee-nilee
June 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
It's definately set to boot from the CD/DVD - I set that as first priority. I have it on a usb and that is set as second. It doesn't recognise any of those and just goes straight ahead and runs windows, even when I press F12 and manually choose to boot from CD/DVD. It's getting really very frustrating!

So as C.S.Cameron suggested a md5sum check can be run on the ISO and the cd, also you want to burn the cd at a slowest speed possible, and I realize the thumb isn't working, I assume you have tried that from the f12 option.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

I'm not sure what you have used to load the thumb but unetbootin has worked fine for me.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/