PDA

View Full Version : Putting Linux on a netbook

gabriella
June 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone

I have been handed a Netbook at such a discounted price I couldn't refuse. Right now its sitting with Windows XP on it. Obviously I'm going to put Linux on to it. At the risk of asking that infamous unanswerable question "which distro?" ......

Firstly, what are the main differences I would notice between a regular version of Ubuntu that I'm using right now and the netbook version?

Secondly what other candidates should I consider? I'd prefer for now to stick with gnome.

phrostbyte
June 29th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It is pretty good.

original_jamingrit
June 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
The UNR has a different interface, intended to be less cluttered for smaller screens. Maybe some other optimizations, but not sure.

howefield
June 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Firstly, what are the main differences I would notice between a regular version of Ubuntu that I'm using right now and the netbook version?

I think the only real difference is that UNR desktop is "optimised" for the smaller netbook screen.

piousp
June 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ubuntu Moblin?

original_jamingrit
June 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Ubuntu Moblin?

I've heard a lot of good things about Moblin as well.

If there are two distros you ought to test drive, they are Moblin and UNR.

gabriella
June 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I think the only real difference is that UNR desktop is "optimised" for the smaller netbook screen.

I read something about pull down menus had been removed?

Ubuntu Moblin?

Thanks! I'd like to end up with a list of candidates I can browse and research further

piousp
June 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I mean,

Ubuntu Netbook Remix
Moblin
Ubuntu Moblin

I have never tried Ubuntu Moblin, but i have a netbook with Moblin (actually, Meego) and another with UNR. ):P

snowpine
June 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
You need to find out the specific netbook model if you want accurate advice.

Here is a list of some common models: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

Assuming your hardware is supported, I would recommend trying both Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Edition. If you have time, maybe try Xubuntu and Kubuntu too. You can test drive them in Live mode with no change to your system until you are sure which one you want to install.

matt-fender
June 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I honestly have to say i prefer Ubunt 10.04 desktop edition over the Netbook remix on my Acer Aspire One 8.9" Screen, i know the UNR is optimised for smaller screens, but i geuss the desktop edition just looks more "professional"

PsychoDevon
June 29th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I honestly have to say i prefer Ubunt 10.04 desktop edition over the Netbook remix on my Acer Aspire One 8.9" Screen, i know the UNR is optimised for smaller screens, but i geuss the desktop edition just looks more "professional"

If it helps, instead of using elementary, try elementary compact. It'll make your screen look less...blocky? Oh, and also like in the screen, if you're going to use a dock, use Docky and put it on the left/right so you'll save vertical screen space.

http://mastropino.deviantart.com/art/elementary-Compact-151360947

Also, don't use a font size over 9pt. I'm saying all of this, because I remember my friend having an old netbook, and any theme at all made everything look HUUUUGE. This theme helps a lot: though, if you don't like elementary, I am unsure if there are any other modifications of good themes like this for smaller screens.

cloyd
June 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have UNR 9.10. My machie is a Gateway LT3103u which is somewhat large for a netbook, but smaller than most notebooks. With two gig ram, it only lacks a cd drive. I did not like what someone else called the "Fisher-Price" interface. (I like that name). However, you can get kill maximus and get the regular menu back in 9.10. Generally speaking, it worked well enough out of the box to keep a real beginner satisfied.

I tried 10.04 UNR, and couldn't convert over to the regular desktop rather than Fisher-Price. Perhaps it could have been done, but I couldn't do it.

NCLI
June 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have UNR 9.10. My machie is a Gateway LT3103u which is somewhat large for a netbook, but smaller than most notebooks. With two gig ram, it only lacks a cd drive. I did not like what someone else called the "Fisher-Price" interface. (I like that name). However, you can get kill maximus and get the regular menu back in 9.10. Generally speaking, it worked well enough out of the box to keep a real beginner satisfied.

I tried 10.04 UNR, and couldn't convert over to the regular desktop rather than Fisher-Price. Perhaps it could have been done, but I couldn't do it.

At the login screen, after clicking your name and before entering your password, you can change your desktop environment form one of the bottom dropdown menus.

cariboo
June 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm currently running Maverick UNE and Lucid UNE dual boot, just in case. Before I installed any of them I tried all I could find and settled with UNE. There are some cool things coming in Maverick, but it is nowhere near done yet.

NightwishFan
June 30th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I agree I will probably be using Unity on my laptop even, if it works well.

Frogs Hair
June 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Peppermint