PDA

View Full Version : Hulu TV: It's official. Pay to watch.

kamaboko
June 29th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here uses Hulu, but they announced a pay program today. $9/month for what they consider "plus" programming. In short, if it's worth a minute of your time, there's a fee associated to it.

whiskeylover
June 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Who cares? Most shows are also available on their network's websites.

/me does not Hulu

TheNerdAL
June 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
So we have to pay to use Hulu now or just pay to use Hulu on portable devices and on TV?

Mr. Picklesworth
June 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Cool! Do they still attach advertising? Does it run outside the USA?

I've been hoping for a movement away from advertisements funding everything. That whole industry undermines privacy and we have ended up depending on it completely.
This could be a nice push in that direction.

(And to be clear: I am happy paying a reasonable price for a service I enjoy. I prefer to if it means they stop being creeps, like Facebook. I think that whole scenario would be better if Paypal died in a fire and we had friendlier online payment systems. HyperWallet is a really good one).

Giant Speck
June 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
If you only use Hulu to watch very recent episodes of shows, then it's still free. Since most people use Hulu this way, it will remain free for most users.

This new Plus thing is for those that want to have instant access to an entire season's worth of shows. It's for users that want to be able to watch any episode from any season of any show featured on Hulu. This isn't something that was even offered for free on Hulu.

Crunchy the Headcrab
June 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Cool! Do they still attach advertising? Does it run outside the USA?

I've been hoping for a movement away from advertisements funding everything. That whole industry undermines privacy and we have ended up depending on it completely.
This could be a nice push in that direction.

Wasn't that the point of Cable tv also? No advertisements didn't last long on those cable channels.

tgm4883
June 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
They will still advertise. Link for the lazy http://blog.hulu.com/2010/06/29/introducing-hulu-plus-more-wherever-more-whenever-than-ever/

Mr. Picklesworth
June 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
They will still advertise. Link for the lazy http://blog.hulu.com/2010/06/29/introducing-hulu-plus-more-wherever-more-whenever-than-ever/

Summary for the really lazy :b
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/29/hulu-plus-announced-ipad-iphone-sony-and-more-on-board/

If you only use Hulu to watch very recent episodes of shows, then it's still free. Since most people use Hulu this way, it will remain free for most users.

This new Plus thing is for those that want to have instant access to an entire season's worth of shows. It's for users that want to be able to watch any episode from any season of any show featured on Hulu. This isn't something that was even offered for free on Hulu.

Ah. I'm not a fan of artificially degrading digital content (I guess they _may_ delete the videos from their servers after a few months, but somehow I doubt it), so the first bit of that isn't particularly interesting to me. However, it looks like they'll also host shows that have been off the air for a while. That bit is more interesting!
Still USA-only, though. Bloody networks.

gnomeuser
June 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Seeing as Hulu so far hasn't been able to license their content for use outside of the US so far I am not even able to test it.

LeifAndersen
June 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
So, can anyone explain to me why anyone should by this? To me, it looks like the only reason is if you want to be able to watch the back catalog on Linux (without some hacking). Because netflix seems to offer all of this, and more, and at a cheaper rate.

samalex
June 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
It depends on what type of content they add and keep. If they start adding then pulling content that's no good. Also they need to get content from all the major networks for it to be worth much. I don't care to watch reruns of A-Team or Facts of Life, instead I want to watch the most recent shows and past seasons of shows that are still currently being played so I can drop cable and DVR service. Even with commercials that would be worth $9/month, which this plus $8/month for Netflix would be all we need.

Sam

CharlesA
June 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Looks like it's still free to watch older shows. Works for me. If it's 10 bucks a month I'll just get netflix.

Timmer1240
June 30th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I use it and like it but Im not paying for it so Ill just watch what is free screw em!

Legendary_Bibo
June 30th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I really like Hulu but it doesn't work with Lucid for some reason. :confused:

Wait scratch that, it plays the advertisements perfectly, but not whatever it is I want to watch.

JDShu
June 30th, 2010, 02:15 AM
$9 seems like a reasonable price to me, but my computer can't run Hulu anyway because there isn't enough RAM.

mamamia88
June 30th, 2010, 02:45 AM
is there an equivelent of play on media server for linux that streams hulu and netflix with a bunch of other stuff too ps3?

kamaboko
June 30th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I really like Hulu but it doesn't work with Lucid for some reason. :confused:

Wait scratch that, it plays the advertisements perfectly, but not whatever it is I want to watch.

Works great for me on Lucid.

Dustin2128
June 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
meh, there are other ways of watching T.V. online. Megavideo is legal, right?

doorknob60
June 30th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Everything that used to be free should still remain free (like the previous 5 episodes of any show), it's just now there's more for an extra fee. That's completely fine with me, though I won't likely get it (if I was gonna spend $10 on something like that I'd get Netflix instead). I'll still use it for watching episodes of shows I missed (which I always miss).

Legendary_Bibo
June 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Works great for me on Lucid.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with having 64bit flash. I think I might look into setting up Boxee.

northwestuntu
June 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm wondering if it has something to do with having 64bit flash. I think I might look into setting up Boxee.

hulu has a linux desktop app.

Legendary_Bibo
June 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
hulu has a linux desktop app.
Then I will look into that because I couldn't get Boxee to work under Lucid either.

Legendary_Bibo
June 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hey whaddya know the desktop thing works perfectly and I like it better than the hulu site already! For one thing high quality videos don't get jumpy.

HangukMiguk
June 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM
is there an equivelent of play on media server for linux that streams hulu and netflix with a bunch of other stuff too ps3?

This is what I've wondered too, but searches leave me high and dry.

I wouldn't think it would be insanely difficult to implement, with open source transcoding possible, and a decent enough DLNA client to use (although I would use something other than MediaTomb, allow both PS3 and 360 users to run this, ushare...although it may need a big rewrite).

I figure a ushare, mencoder, an rss parser, sql, and a flash video downloader would be all that's really needed. Too bad I don't know how to program. I would spearhead this thing, because I've been looking for a PlayOn alternative since I got back on Linux.

Although, Netflix really isn't needed for any console, so long as you have the PS3 disc for it, you're good to go.

HappinessNow
June 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I won't be paying for Hulu.

even graboid (http://www.graboid.com/) is less expensive at $4.99 per month.