PDA

View Full Version : Mac user declares he's moving to Linux, gets pilloried in the comments section...

Sporkman
June 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM
:lol:

http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/06/20/from_mac_to_linux/index.html

Mind you, salon.com is the sort of site on which you'd find a lot of "creative professionals"...

aysiu
June 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Same thing happened to me when I blogged about moving from Linux to Mac, except it was Linux users "pillorying" me in the comments section.

Out come the fangirls and fanboys. Use whatever works for you. If Windows works for you, great. If Mac works for you, great. If Linux works for you, great. I don't see why people have to poo-poo others' choices.

sydbat
June 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Same thing happened to me when I blogged about moving from Linux to Mac, except it was Linux users "pillorying" me in the comments section.No. You're making that up. That NEVER happens. [/sarcasm]

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Out come the fangirls and fanboys. Use whatever works for you. If Windows works for you, great. If Mac works for you, great. If Linux works for you, great. I don't see why people have to poo-poo others' choices.

Agreed.

Shazzam6999
I couldn't find the reply button or I would have gotten all up in that. Many of his points are very legitimate and most of the people defending macs were going for the software compatibility issue, which actually exists as a result of the freedoms he desires. I hope he has better luck with the hardware in the future.

There's nothing wrong with osx, just not everyone agrees with Apple's approach.

NCLI
Same thing happened to me when I blogged about moving from Linux to Mac, except it was Linux users "pillorying" me in the comments section.

Why would you say that?? Liar, fanboy, TROLL!!!!

sudoer541
June 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM
why would you say that?? Liar, fanboy, troll!!!!

lol!!!

nrs
June 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I can somewhat understand why GNU/Linux users sometimes get riled up: They see GNU/Linux as a manifestation of a set of ideals / philosophy. Whether you agree with it or not is really irrelevant, you can't deny it's the reason why this was all started, and why it continues with such fervour. Though obviously profit motive plays a larger part now.

I don't understand why Windows or OS X users care at all. They're just products, nothing more. There is no grand philosophy or ideals or anything. Microsoft & Apple are corporations and their motive is to make money. In fact, when you discuss Linux their supporters like to point out that they see their OS as nothing more than a tool: So why do they foam at the mouth?

Crunchy the Headcrab
June 29th, 2010, 08:23 PM
:confused: Great. Now let's go mutilate some Iphone 4G's.

(don't care)

original_jamingrit
June 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Well after reading his article, I'm sure this guy will be welcomed with open (source) arms from quite a few circles in the free software community.