PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone Users

SilverDragon
June 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
From the options above I was wondering how people use Rosetta Stone. If the microphone didn't work, which it seems like it doesn't for a lot of people, especially through Wine, please mention that.

Rosetta Stone is the only Windows application I need so I'd rather not use Windows just for Rosetta Stone, unless it is in a virtual machine.

PsychoDevon
June 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I don't use it, but I'm going to in the near future, and I was just going to use it in a Windows box.

EarthMind
June 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I use it in Windows.

SilverDragon
June 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Earthmind, do you dual boot, use a separate machine, or use Windows exclusively? I should have included that in my poll but I don't think I can edit it. This is only my first poll.

TyrantWave
June 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Dual boot, I use windows for Steam, Rosetta Stone, and also for making PSP EBOOT files...

undecim
June 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I used it in VirtualBox before. It worked fine, although I didn't have a microphone, so I don't know if the microphone worked or not.

EarthMind
July 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Earthmind, do you dual boot, use a separate machine, or use Windows exclusively? I should have included that in my poll but I don't think I can edit it. This is only my first poll.

I use Windows exclusively for now, with Ubuntu server in Virtualbox. But I'll be dual booting with OpenSUSE 11.3 soon. Maybe I'll then give it a try using Wine.

Akavashi
July 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've managed to get the microphone working using Wine 1.2 and the technique in this post. (http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Rosetta-Stone-Microphone-Detection-p19342002.html) Wine runs it perfectly! ;)
Albeit, it only worked with my desktop and I couldn't seem to figure out the microphone for my Eee PC 1000HA (Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04) which was a bummer.

lee shore
August 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have RS v2 on Mac (Thai) also learning with Livemocha and flashcards.

drawkcab
August 11th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Dual Boot!

lee shore
August 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
RS is not going to get you fluent in a language, for that one needs more advanced products like Linguaphone and Pimsleur that go into total immersion.

I see RS as a starting "step up" ;) enjoyable and fun.

KdotJ
August 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM
On a side note, I never found Rosetta Stone that good... I tried to use it to learn Polish

windowsh8r
November 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Works great, except the microphone. Where do windows programs look for the microphone? I use several windows-based programs in wine that require serial ports, and all I have to do is create a link to the port in .wine/dosdevices and the program does not know the difference. Is the same possible with the microphone input?