PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fvwm with wireless

webwiz
June 29th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Greetings Ubuntu Community

I have a fresh desktop install ubuntu 10.04 which then I added the fvwm-crystal package (and dependencies). I logout of gnome, and into fvwm. When I do so, I lose my wireless connection that was started when I was in gnome.

Is there a way to get a wireless manager to function inside fvwm (if I add it to the auto-start in my fvwm2rc?). What app can I use? I tried and failed miserably using the command line iwconifg/iwlist tools.

Thank you

JT

noahlt
June 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
You want to run nm-applet to control your wireless connection. nm-applet doesn't run as a standalone program, you have to run it inside some sort of dock/panel program like gnome-panel. It's been a long time since I've used Fvwm, but FvwmButtons can act as a dock for other programs (the way gnome-panel does).

I've never used Fvwm-Crystal, so I don't know what its configuration is like, but when learning to edit my .fvwmrc I found it useful to read Tavis Ormandy's .fvwmrc file. Hope this helps!

jpkotta
July 4th, 2010, 05:36 AM
You want to run nm-applet to control your wireless connection. nm-applet doesn't run as a standalone program, you have to run it inside some sort of dock/panel program like gnome-panel. It's been a long time since I've used Fvwm, but FvwmButtons can act as a dock for other programs (the way gnome-panel does).

I've never used Fvwm-Crystal, so I don't know what its configuration is like, but when learning to edit my .fvwmrc I found it useful to read Tavis Ormandy's .fvwmrc file. Hope this helps!

You can get a stand-alone system tray application. I don't use one, but I have heard of stalone tray and trayer. I thought that nm-applet had a mode where it didn't need a system tray, but I haven't used it for a long time so that might not be true any more (if it ever was). I don't think FvwmButtons works like a system tray. It could swallow a system tray application though.

I use wicd, which is in the repos and is packaged such that it replaces network-manager. You can start wicd-client from fvwm with the command

Exec exec wicd-client -n You can bind the command to a menu item, a key, an FvwmButton, etc.