PDA

View Full Version : copyrighting images

coldraven
June 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I've just had an email from a friend who is travelling through Asia. She asked me how she could copyright her photos.
I replied with a load of stuff about watermarking or only putting low-res versions on the internet.
She does not understand any of it, so here is my question.

Is it worth uploading to sites like Flickr?

I know nothing about social networking sites as I'm an old grump.
I'm worried that if she relies on online storage, what are the chances of her login being stolen by some dodgy Internet Café.
Any ideas welcome ):P

Redache
June 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I know from various photography friends that Flickr can be pretty bad when it comes to issues with users copying images, to the point that one now puts watermarks on everything they put on Flickr.

It might be worth explaining to her how she can watermark her photos if she is really concerned about people claiming her photos as their own.

Another option is to use Creative Commons.

coldraven
June 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks redache, you would think that her Nikon would be able to watermark it's pictures.
They cost enough!
The chances of her travelling with a Linux based netbook for watermaking are very slim!
I saw an online service but what happens if it folds and you don't know what software was used to encrypt the watermark? (mydrmspace.com)
Probably too complicated for her anyway :(

bruno9779
June 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
This is an interesting read on the subject

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/11/smith-family-photo-czech-advertisement

Social networks are made to share content.
Probably you friend would be better off uploading the pics to Photobucket or Dropbox

prshah
June 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Is it worth uploading to sites like Flickr?

Flickr has now tied up with Getty to allow amateur users to mark their photos as available for sale; so I would say, sure it is.