PDA

View Full Version : A common installer for distros

The Soundophiliac
March 29th, 2006, 06:25 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/03/27/76724_13OPopenent_1.html?source=rss&url=www.infoworld.com/article/06/03/27/76724_13OPopenent_1.html

Sounds nice, eh? I think some pretty darn good ideas in there.

mrgnash
March 29th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Certainly makes one think... but the thing about Linux is, is that it's not trying to compete with Windows, and therefore doesn't need to win over Dell or anybody else. Would it be nice to see computers coming pre-installed with Ubuntu or some other distro? Of course. But they'll have to play our game, not the other way around :lol:

Qrk
March 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I like that idea. Could you imagine buying and new Dell/HP/eMachine and being asked, in a grub-like menu?

Internet Connection detected...

Which Linux Distribution would you like to install?
Fedora (Red Hat inc)
OpenSuSE (Novell inc)
Ubuntu (Canonical, Ltd)
Debian

Once you've selected, an automagic installer takes over for that distro (and your machine)

Sadly, this goes into the pipe dream category. We have a hard enough time getting companies to take windows off. Now we want them to support a 1 time use custom Linux installation program?

I think the best chance is for a large(r) company like Novell, which hasn't abandoned commercial Desktop Linux (like Red Hat did, not that there is anything wrong with Fedora ;) ) having the clout amongst vendors to preload SuSE on machines. But even given how much Novell has been pushing SuSE lately, I don't think they'll do that soon.

aysiu
March 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM
but the thing about Linux is, is that it's not trying to compete with Windows, and therefore doesn't need to win over Dell or anybody else. The thing about Linux is that it's just a kernel and can be used for just about any purpose.

I can tell you right now that Ubuntu is trying to compete with Windows, hence what Mark Shuttleworth calls Bug #1 (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1).

Linspire also is trying to compete with Windows.

There are many Linux distributions that are trying to compete with Windows.

Is everything based on the Linux kernel trying to compete with Windows? No. Nor is everything not trying to compete with Windows.

Kvark
March 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I like that idea. Could you imagine buying and new Dell/HP/eMachine and being asked, in a grub-like menu?

Internet Connection detected...

Which Linux Distribution would you like to install?
Fedora (Red Hat inc)
OpenSuSE (Novell inc)
Ubuntu (Canonical, Ltd)
Debian

Once you've selected, an automagic installer takes over for that distro (and your machine)
Yeah I can imagine what it would be like to be an average in that situation...

User: "Time to turn on my brand new computer :)"
Computer: "No internet connection detected. Connect to the internet to continue."
User: "What kind of crap is this, it can't even start without internet?? ...ok, I'll enter my dial up settings here then."
Computer: "Which Linux Distribution would you like to install? Debian Mepis Ubuntu Linspire Xandros Suse Fedora Mandriva Gentoo Arch or Blag?"
User: "Uhh, wonder if this is French, Dutch or Swahili... I want the English version! ...hmm I'll just pick a random of those weird words and see what happens."
Computer: "Downloading Linux... 0.3%...."
User: "This seems to take a while, it will give me a huge phone bill. Why can't they just give me a blue e to click on?"
...much later...
Computer: "Download complete, go ahead and install Linux."
User: ":confused:"

Edit:
On secound thought it may be possible to do it in a good way. By filling up the hard drive with pre installed images of all distros so no download or installation is needed and delete the irrelevant ones to free up space after the user made a choice. And articles with screenshots about the various distros could enable the users to spend time to read up and educate themselves so they can choose between the many alternatives they've never heard of.

But average users don't care which distro they get. They just want a computer they can use and they don't want to know anything about the many different distros. Just ship the computers with pre installed Linspire and they'll be happy.