PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB installation of packages (Ubuntu 10.04)

ThirdEye4103
June 29th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Hello everyone at Ubuntu Forum. I am new to the Linux/Ubuntu Operating system and i was wondering if anyone here can teach me or point me in the right direction of a guide or tutorial of a way to download packages (debs, tar, etc.) from my Vista laptop (with Wi-Fi) to a USB Flash Drive, then transfer to my desktop running nothing but Ubuntu 10.04 with absolutely no internet connection but my iPhone 3G to tether from, but ive used up about all my data and my bill doesn't change until the 13th of July. So this is the only way i have to download and upgrade my packages.

Ive seen the way to use Keryx on the USB but it says it doesnt support any version past 8.

I also did something with the symatic package manager. i forgot what it was called. but it made some text file. it was for being able to transfer packages from another computer. but idk what to do next.

sorry about my spelling, I know I spelled a couple things wrong..

but thanks in advance. you ubuntu people seem like the coolest group of people for a forum.

edit: Also i saw a thread with a bunch of Deb files all together so i wouldn't have to get the all the dependencies of the deb files. but it only listed up to version 8, so are those debs unusable on 10.04?

ThirdEye4103
June 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Can anyone help?

kalistona
June 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
you have not internet ? and you want from .DEB instal on your usb / key ? with vista ?
but if you have not internet where is coming from these .DEB ? from vista ?
your 3Giphone ? well let's be serious !
an update or upgrade must be verified correctly and it is not a good way to download and to install : it is my point of view of course i hope for you that someone else will understand better than myself and will help you.

ThirdEye4103
June 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Okay no.. I have access to Wi Fi Internet on my vista computer. I want to download the debs on my Vista on wifi and put on USB drive then transfer it to my Desktop running Ubuntu.

kalistona
June 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
i do not follow you : donload your deb and put it on your key and so what ?
put your deb on ubuntu ? and so what ? install your deb (click twice) and so what ?
un update must be verified with a tool and a verified source; it is my little point of view sorry; i do not follow this way.

dissembly
August 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
ThirdEye did you ever find a method?

I've seen instructions for instaling Ubuntu 10.04 from scratch using a USB flash drive, for if you don't have a CD drive or an internet connection (i don't have those on my ubuntu machine either), but i have not seen any clarification as to what to do if you want to upgrade.

Did you ever get this working?

ahbart
August 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
With synaptic it is possible to create an update script, to run on another computer. But, I'm pretty sure that this has to be an linux one.
See also: Installing packages without an Internet connection (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware#Installing%20packages%20without %20an%20Internet%20connection) ( <- this is a link)
Maybe you can use this script from Vista. But is would be much easier to (temporarily) connect this pc to the internet, because of updates and dependencies.

@Kalistona - that was a very helpful 'answer'. :rolleyes:

EXCiD3
August 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Just for the record, Keryx (http://keryxproject.org) works on 10.04 and should be able to do what you want with a nice little GUI. :)