PDA

View Full Version : Opera 10.60 RC 1 now available!

chessnerd
June 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I've been using 10.5/10.6 snapshots for months now, waiting patiently for a solid Linux build. None of them were terrible or what I would consider unstable, but they weren't quite "there," you know? Yeah, they looked great compared to 10.10, and they were faster, but there were still some issues.

The 10.53 beta was disappointing. It lacked some features from the Windows version and wasn't amazingly stable. Also, some of those infamous font issues still existed.

The 10.60 beta was okay, but there were a few little nuances that were missing. For instance, it couldn't open maximized in Gnome (worked on Xfce).

The 10.60 RC? It looks great! All the functionality is there. The last few snapshots have been very stable for me and I expect that this RC will prove to be equally as trustworthy.

Link: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/28/opera-10-60-rc1

For those Opera fans still using 10.1, I'd recommend moving on up. This thing is pretty much ready.

Some highlights:

* Improved HTML5 support - including WebM video, geolocation, and a 159 (+7) score on html5test.com (behind only Chrome)

* Improved Carakan Javascript engine - 50% faster than in 10.5 and way faster than 10.1

* Improved UI - from 10.5 there are minor improvements, from 10.1 there are massive improvements in GTK support and the overall look is a lot nicer

zekopeko
June 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I love the dropdown menus that come up when you use the address and search box. I have no idea why they didn't use them for the menu button.

chessnerd
June 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I love the dropdown menus that come up when you use the address and search box. I have no idea why they didn't use them for the menu button.

Agreed, the dropdown menu style for the address and search boxes looks a lot better. Much sleeker and cleaner.

Well, they changed the style of the tab previews from 10.5 to 10.6, maybe they will change the Menu button dropdown in 10.7...