PDA

View Full Version : Help me with testing router? I need a MAC address.

Nick_Jinn
June 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
For Comcast cable internet, especially if you live in California or the Bay Area. This shouldnt affect you in any way, but I need a working MAC address to test the connection speeds at this address and compare it to DSL.

Anyone want to help me out?

pricetech
June 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
See can you befriend an installer. He should have a test modem that would work just fine for that.

lostinxlation
June 29th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I think I know what you are trying to do with MAC address. The best approach is knocking on the door of the neighbors and asking them to provide the MAC address if they're on Comcast cable, that way you and the target MAC address are on the same network for sure.

Nick_Jinn
June 29th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Thanks.

I am an honest hard working citizen, but I am sick of Comcasts customer service and the way they jack the price up on you without warning. Its a bait and switch, and the speeds you get are NOT even close to what they advertise. Its not the workers fault, but I think Comcast is not exactly an ethical company.

I just want to test the speeds I am getting vs DSL, so I need a few MAC addresses to make an informed decision about which provider I wish to purchase my service from.

I will try knocking on their doors, but I dont know if they are tech savvy enough to know what that is or if they feel comfortable with me scratching around with their stuff.

If anyone can help me track down at least one (preferably a few) MAC addresses, there might be a reward involved.