PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04

truckbytes
June 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I am considering using the upgrade utility in the "Update Manager" however I am concerned that if I upgrade to 9.10 I could loose data. Especially all the data within my Virtual Box. I could use any suggestions, advice, experiences or recommendations.

Thank You
Joel

Paddy Landau
June 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Back up all your important data. There is always a small chance of data loss when upgrading.
Before I upgrade, I back up my entire disk using CloneZilla (http://clonezilla.org/). That way, if the upgrade messes up, I can restore the entire disk without having to reinstall.
Double-check that you really have backed up safely.
Go for it.

howefield
June 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I am considering using the upgrade utility in the "Update Manager" however I am concerned that if I upgrade to 9.10 I could loose data. Especially all the data within my Virtual Box.

Sounds like you need to revisit your backup strategy, irrespective of whether you are upgrading or not. Disks can die, mistakes can happen, data can be lost.

I'm with Paddy Landau re Clonezilla, but to specifically look at your point re virtualbox. You can backup your images with

vboxmanage clonevdi source destination

stlsaint
June 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I use the Simple Backup/Restore Suite which comes in all releases. Its very effective and works fast.

truckbytes
July 2nd, 2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Joel

Paddy Landau
July 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Please mark the thread as solved if you feel that this has solved your problem. ;)