PDA

View Full Version : Why Linux?

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hello I am new around here and I was hoping you could answer some questions for me.

What I want to know is why do people go mad over Linux, what is the point? IMO people use Linux because it's a cool thing to do,or because it's not MS or Apple,so basically they are being rebels, but I don'tknow why anyone would use it when you can use Windows which is all ready set upfor you?

Can someone please tell me is the Linux good for?

TeoBigusGeekus
June 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM
-Complete control over your hardware
-Bye bye viruses
-Free
-Large community ready to support you
...you want more?

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 08:52 PM
-Complete control over your hardware
-Bye bye viruses
-Free
-Large community ready to support you
...you want more?

yes, i already have complete control over my hardware.

nacho32
June 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hello I am new around here and I was hoping you could answer some questions for me.

What I want to know is why do people go mad over Linux, what is the point? IMO people use Linux because it's a cool thing to do,or because it's not MS or Apple,so basically they are being rebels, but I don'tknow why anyone would use it when you can use Windows which is all ready set upfor you?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/carlos57775/SCobc6EL_hI/AAAAAAAABys/RG0y66Z3ZDY/s288/Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Who's being a rebel?

Being a rebel by using something other than Windows or Mac would imply that there is some rule requiring their use.

I was not aware there was one.

unknownPoster
June 28th, 2010, 09:00 PM
In my experience, C/C++ development is much easier in an Unix or Unix-like environment.

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I bought a System76 and its already set up for me...

its also:
-the most customizable OS Eva
-Extremely versatile for programming
-The Ubuntu software center is getting to be amazing (even better than the coveted apple app store)
-I get the newest and greatest for free
-If you have good hardware its the smoothest and easiest thing you can find
-problems are simple to solve with help of forums (most to all on complaint hardware)
-Its fun and makes my work flow efficient (compiz scale ftw)
-I like the social integration
-Lots of innovation

so those are my reasons...and none of them are me liking it because its not one OS or another...I use Ubuntu for what it is, NOT for what it is not.

I hope that answers your question.:popcorn:

Viva la Ubuntu :guitar:

Kdar
In my experience, C/C++ development is much easier in an Unix or Unix-like environment.

I agree. Or programming in Php/Perl.. or anything else probably

Plus you have choice.
There is only one Windows (if you don't count updates.. etc). But Linux have so many different distributions to fit your needs or philosophy.

MCVenom
First of all, welcome to the forums. :D

And there are many reasons, but I find that the main ones around here seem to be:

Faster and more secure - Many people find that Ubuntu runs faster and better on their hardware, even a Windows fan admitted this to me. You also don't have to worry about viruses as much as you would on a Windows or Mac computer.
Free and open source - Many Linux users are somewhat fond of the open source ideology; also, I personally find it great that I finally no longer have to wait 'until I get a new computer or I can buy a copy' for new releases of Ubuntu, as I had to with Windows.
It's really not hard to use and if something messes up, it's much easier to fix; ask around on these forums and you'll hear about people who have got their parents, grandparents, spouses, or significant others running Ubuntu without much trouble. Also, many people find that it's easier to track down and fix an issue with Ubuntu than with Windows. A friend of mine recently completely gave up on digital art because she couldn't get her tablet working in Windows 7 and there was no clear fix. If she had been using Ubuntu, things might have been different.

Those are just the top reasons I come across, I'm sure many others will have good ones too. And no, it's not just about being a rebel or something, that's just not my thing. :P

koenn
I can install it on as many computers I like, I can reinstall it as many times I want without hassle, I can share resources across networks without any artificial limitations such as EULAs and CALs, and I can get it for free, in a legal way, if I so choose.

Besides that, it does everything I need een operating system for, and there's a lot of software for it, again without hassle about licenses and stuff.

Pretty convenient.

koenn
June 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Who's being a rebel?

Being a rebel by using something other than Windows or Mac would imply that there is some rule requiring their use.

I was not aware there was one.

lol

MCVenom
June 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/carlos57775/SCobc6EL_hI/AAAAAAAABys/RG0y66Z3ZDY/s288/Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg
*shrug* I'll give him the benefit of doubt :P

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Oh so very true

and Mono is good too...err, please don't kill me FOSS [-o<

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Okay then I have finally met a group of people who have told me something about why they use Linux without me thinking they are just doing this because it's cool.

Now I don't doubt for a single minute that you use Ubuntu for any other reason other than what you have listed, but you must agree that there are a lot of people out there who just like to be part of the crowd.

MCVenom
June 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Okay then I have finally met a group of people who have told me something about why they use Linux without me thinking they are just doing this because it's cool.

Now I don't doubt for a single minute that you use Ubuntu for any other reason other than what you have listed, but you must agree that there are a lot of people out there who just like to be part of the crowd.
True, very true. :P

Though to be honest, if I wanted to be part of a crowd I'd get a Mac so I'd at least be part of a bigger one :lolflag:

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
If, by being "part of the crowd", you mean something like 2.5% of computer users then crowd it is.

bowens44
June 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Linux is also 'already set up for you'.
It is easier to install and much easier to maintain. It is much more secure and more stable. It's free.

I don't know why anyone would use windows when it's expensive, crash prone and a breeding ground for thousands of computer viruses and male-ware.

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
True, very true. :P

Though to be honest, if I wanted to be part of a crowd I'd get a Mac so I'd at least be part of a bigger one :lolflag:
The apple crowd is now bigger than the MS crowd, what are they going to do now!

alket
June 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I used it because

- Free
- No worry for viruses
- No anti-virus to slow down my system
- I have customized it in the way I like
- It fitted, I like OpenOffice more than Office, Pidgin more than Windows Live etc
- Fasssssssttttt

It is the best you can think, Free and Powerful, The most amazing OS that no money can buy.

JDShu
June 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Because I am superior to Mac and Windows users.

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Mac owns a larger share of the market now than Microsoft?

MCVenom
June 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Mac owns a larger share of the market now than Microsoft?
I think he means Apple fans in general vs. Microsoft fans.

wilee-nilee
June 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The goth queen Diamanda Galás has instructed us to do so. It is the sporting life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AIjnQ8t30

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Does anyone have any idea what the fastest supercomputers in the world run?

Hint: It's neither Mac nor Windows...

Lisimelis
June 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Richard Stallman.

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
The goth queen Diamanda Galás has instructed us to do so.

*spits coffee on computer monitor*
the essence of lol.:lolflag:

koenn
June 28th, 2010, 09:20 PM
... but you must agree that there are a lot of people out there who just like to be part of the crowd.

and is there a problem with that ?

aysiu
June 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Obviously, people will have various different reasons for using Linux. Some like that it's open source. Some like to just try something new. Some think it'll add to their geek cred. Some like that it's (legally) cost-free. Some like the ease of customization. Some just like the interface better.

The best thing is that other people's reasons for using it don't really matter. What matters is your reasons. If you think you'd like to try it, give it a try. It doesn't hurt. You can download the Ubuntu CD for free and when you boot it up it doesn't affect your hard drive (not until you click the install icon anyway). If you like it, you can explore it more. If you don't like it, you lost nothing but a little time.

I will say one of the nice things about Ubuntu (and other Linux distros like it) is the total lack of having to enter product license keys. The software distribution method is very similar to the iTunes App Store or Android Market. You just go to one place to install stuff instead of surfing all over the internet to download random .exe files.

You may be perfectly happy with Windows, and that's fine. If you want to explore Linux, though, a lot of people here would be more than happy to help you with that journey.

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Why would Ubuntu appeal to me, or I shall rephrase that, what would appeal to me in Ubuntu? What is there for me in the world of Ubuntu that could convert me to a Ubuntu user?

rottentree
June 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I use Linux because:
-It's free.
-I don't have to keep a CD/DVD or a serial number around for install.
-I'm studying CS so I find it a duty to use something which can teach me about informatics rather than hide it from me.
-I like bigger control on my work environment.
-It's ideals are appealing to me even though I don't really keep them :)

I think that's it.

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
and is there a problem with that ?
It is a question of validity.

koenn
June 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Why would Ubuntu appeal to me, or I shall rephrase that, what would appeal to me in Ubuntu? What is there for me in the world of Ubuntu that could convert me to a Ubuntu user?

that depends on the sort of thing you find appealing, obviously.
Tell us something about yourself
:-)

wilee-nilee
*spits coffee on computer monitor*
the essence of lol.:lolflag:

I heard it the in the Litanies of Satan.:p
http://augury.persephassa.com/?p=244

Diaby does Gallas
Obviously, people will have various different reasons for using Linux. Some like that it's open source. Some like to just try something new. Some think it'll add to their geek cred. Some like that it's (legally) cost-free. Some like the ease of customization. Some just like the interface better.

The best thing is that other people's reasons for using it don't really matter. What matters is your reasons. If you think you'd like to try it, give it a try. It doesn't hurt. You can download the Ubuntu CD for free and when you boot it up it doesn't affect your hard drive (not until you click the install icon anyway). If you like it, you can explore it more. If you don't like it, you lost nothing but a little time.

I will say one of the nice things about Ubuntu (and other Linux distros like it) is the total lack of having to enter product license keys. The software distribution method is very similar to the iTunes App Store or Android Market. You just go to one place to install stuff instead of surfing all over the internet to download random .exe files.

You may be perfectly happy with Windows, and that's fine. If you want to explore Linux, though, a lot of people here would be more than happy to help you with that journey.

i have before today installed Ubuntu to my HDD, but once I had done thatIthen thought whats the point. I found that Windows had everything I needed so I didn't really see what the point was. But I would like to add to my geek cred or increase my knowledge of the would of computing, which was the actual reason why I originally posted the thread.

Yarui
Does anyone have any idea what the fastest supercomputers in the world run?

Hint: It's neither Mac nor Windows...
I don't know any real statistics on this; but I'm going to say Unix, GNU and other Unix-like OSs would be the most accurate answer to this question. I don't personally find the fact that GNU OSs are used in supercomputers to be a compelling reason to use them for the desktop.

Personally I started using Ubuntu and other Linux distros for the experience. I also run Windows and have a Mac. As far as interface goes I prefer Gnome and the Windows 7 interface over the OS X interface, and I have had a harder time getting OS X to play nice with other OSs than I have with Windows or Linux. That's probably the reason why I don't like OS X as much as Linux or Windows. I don't often see the kinds of issues that people associate with Windows so much. I have seen other people have those issues but I manage to get by without them. So I suppose the main reason I use Linux at this point is just because I like it.

koenn
It is a question of validity.

what is ?

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
One question: Are you doing some kind of survey thing? Because I'm starting to wonder with all these reasons already, what would you like Ubuntu to do for you?

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Just to digress for a small while, buthas anyone noticed my username and picked upon the little play on words?

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I heard it the in the Litanies of Satan.:p
http://augury.persephassa.com/?p=244
After reading the context I no longer find it funny sadly. Like they say, ignorance is bliss.

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
One question: Are you doing some kind of survey thing? Because I'm starting to wonder with all these reasons already, what would you like Ubuntu to do for you?

Well not sure, at the moment I think that I may just install a copy on my HDD and then find some software that is knocking about and see where it takes me.

aysiu
June 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM
i have before today installed Ubuntu to my HDD, but once I had done thatIthen thought whats the point. I found that Windows had everything I needed so I didn't really see what the point was. Then, in your case, there may not be a point. If Windows has everything you need, you should probably use Windows. No operating system can please everybody. Some people prefer Windows. Some prefer a Linux distro. Some prefer Mac OS X. Some prefer yet something else (FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.).

But I would like to add to my geek cred or increase my knowledge of the would of computing, which was the actual reason why I originally posted the thread. In that case, I would recommend installing Ubuntu as a virtual OS inside Windows. That way you can basically stick with Windows for your everyday computing, but you can play around with Ubuntu without having to reboot your computer.

endotherm
June 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Just to digress for a small while, buthas anyone noticed my username and picked upon the little play on words?
yes. bad pr0n from the 80's

to me, ubuntu is a window into a deeper technical world. it doesn't have all the layers of abstraction in the way hiding the real system from me. I can see the code and have the freedom to do real stuff with it. even in the windows world OSS is a winner. for instance, the packaged binaries for this project would not work for me on 64bit servers, so I just recompiled it:
http://opendbiff.codeplex.com/

Yarui
June 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
One of the first things that made a big impression on me when I started using Ubuntu is the Synaptic Package Manager. It isn't entirely unique, but it was the first time I had used anything like it. The convenience of being able to search for an application and then have it automatically installed for you with no hassle was very cool. If you feel that you don't really understand the point after installing it, that's probably because you are hoping to see something that is immediately impressive. If you really want to use the OS, just try using it for day to day stuff without really worrying about whether or not it is better than anything else. Eventually you will probably know whether or not you like it.

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
yes. bad pr0n from the 80's

And a couple of French footballers who are also not so great after Frances show in the world cup, although not that England done much better.

koenn
June 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM

true. too much talk.

It's an OS. it runs computers. It allows you to run software. If the OP is interested in 'geek cred' and increasing his knowledge of computing, like he says a few posts back, he should be either reading, or running a couple of computers, install a few servers, play with networks, and generelly just see how stuff works, in stead of wasting time on a thread like this.

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
what is ?
Asking people to list practical (not social) reasons to use linux.

Diaby does Gallas
June 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
One of the first things that made a big impression on me when I started using Ubuntu is the Synaptic Package Manager. It isn't entirely unique, but it was the first time I had used anything like it. The convenience of being able to search for an application and then have it automatically installed for you with no hassle was very cool. If you feel that you don't really understand the point after installing it, that's probably because you are hoping to see something that is immediately impressive. If you really want to use the OS, just try using it for day to day stuff without really worrying about whether or not it is better than anything else. Eventually you will probably know whether or not you like it.

What Iwill do then at some point tomorrow is I will install a copy to my HDD and mess around with it for a while. I did notice the package manager thing, but I think I must have made my mind up about Linux far to quickly.

Yarui
June 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
In that case, I would recommend installing Ubuntu as a virtual OS inside Windows. That way you can basically stick with Windows for your everyday computing, but you can play around with Ubuntu without having to reboot your computer.
I'm actually not sure I agree with this. In my experience if I didn't see the point of the OS, I wouldn't really know what to use it for in a virtual machine, but using it for day to day stuff doesn't require me to come up with reasons to use it. Maybe that's just me, though.

On the other hand, this probably is a better way of doing things than dual booting, but always defaulting to windows and never feeling compelled to restart into Ubuntu. When I think of it that way I can see where you are coming from.

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
What Iwill do then at some point tomorrow is I will install a copy to my HDD and mess around with it for a while. I did notice the package manager thing, but I think I must have made my mind up about Linux far to quickly.
Also try the Ubuntu Software Center, its quite good for looking through prospective programs and it also has a "featured" section...it gets even better in the next release(10.10) ;-)

McRat
June 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM

For me:

I've been using computers for work since before DOS was around.
Windows had become more and more problematic for me as the years wore on. More support time per computer was being spent every year, even though we have run the same apps for more than 10 years. The O/S was the maintenance, not the apps.

Finally, we had a network issue where at random, various Win machines would not connect to the fileserver, and at the same time, Win7 would not run a critical app we need.

Swapping the fileserver with a Ubuntu machine made the problem go away, and strangely enough Wine (Win app layer for Linux) ran the critical app better than Win7 could. I got Win7Pro to finally run the app, but it crashes for no reason, and Wine doesn't.

It wasn't price, or FOSS religion, or a desire to screw with computers. In fact, pretty much the opposite. I didn't WANT to replace Windows, but I kind of had to.

McRat
June 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM
When I started to "experiment" with Ubuntu, I bought a brand new HDD ($45) and set the Vista64 drive on the shelf, JIC. Cheap insurance.

MCVenom
June 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
It really depends on what you do with your computer, why you're considering it, and if you're willing to take the time needed to get used to it. Personally my progression to my near constant use was:

1. Came across a discussion a year ago about a group making their own Linux distro. There was lots or infighting over it and the project was near dead; but a few people mentioned that Ubuntu should be the choice because it's more friendly to Windows users. I looked it up. My thoughts then were, 'huh, so this is free? Cool. Also, it's open source apparently. I like open source stuff, so I'll try to install it on one of those virtual machines I just learned about' :lolflag: (Yeah, this is all true :P)

2. Installed it on the VM. I really liked the look and feel of the OS, (this was Jaunty, and I'm not afraid to say it; I liked Ubuntu's old Humanity theme :P) didn't seem to hard to use, and then I thought "I remember back when my Dad ran two versions of Windows on the same computer. I could probably run Windows and Ubuntu on the same computer." Looked it up online, found a guide, and did it.

3. Started dual booting, and using Windows less and less. Windows seemed slow and not as good to me after that (I can't have an animated wallpaper? Lame :P). I got used to doing a lot of things in Ubuntu and after I dropped Maple Story (my main obsession at the time) I had even less reason to use Windows. Now I barely use Windows at all, been going a few months without it so far (Only because I had to reflash my Droid's firmware using Windows only software that last time). I love Ubuntu. :)

Ultimately everyone's experience varies. If you feel like it's something you might be interested in, by all means, try it in a virtual machine, or from the LiveCD. Of course, if you feel that Windows is just fine for you, then no one's forcing you to use anything else. ;)

wilee-nilee
June 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
After reading the context I no longer find it funny sadly. Like they say, ignorance is bliss.

I was just using the last name of the OP as a reference. I am not aware of their reference with the name, and I'm a fan of the artist seen her live twice with John Paul Jones it is quite the spectacle.

As far as the OP goes I am not surprised at all the responses, you are all being intellectually pwnd, by somebody with little of it, I would guess.:lolflag:

11hjpphty76lkjj
June 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You keep asking why you should use it or what it can do for you. You might consider booting from the live CD and checking it out. Make your own opinion on it, everyone here is going to give you a biased perspective--because we all love Ubuntu. Try it out. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you wont.

It's faster, more stable, and safer than any Windows system. Plus without having to load a bunch of applications you have more available RAM.

Also, I very, very rarely have to reboot my systems. I've had systems up for 150 days or so with no crashing and even still they where running great. No power offs. No crashing. No viruses. What windows system can say that?

Give it a try. :p

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I don't know any real statistics on this; but I'm going to say Unix, GNU and other Unix-like OSs would be the most accurate answer to this question. I don't personally find the fact that GNU OSs are used in supercomputers to be a compelling reason to use them for the desktop.

Linux is the final answer. Something like 90%, last I read.

You'd have to wonder why this is, wouldn't you?

What compelling reasons for the use of Linux on powerful computers might make it desirable for use on personal computers?

Open source, configurable, no licensing, fast, stable, hardware compatibility across processor architectures ...

laithk50
June 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I was just using the last name of the OP as a reference. I am not aware of their reference with the name, and I'm a fan of the artist seen her live twice with John Paul Jones it is quite the spectacle.

As far as the OP goes I am not surprised at all the responses, you are all being intellectually pwnd, by somebody with little of it, I would guess.:lolflag:
Oh no...I bet the music is great...I just happened to scroll down to some "blood-letting" part... soo
ok, about the OP...a little fun is good right? ;-)

Proteus Vulgaris
June 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Why justify your use of Linux to an obvious Microsoft devotee and true believer? Someone that worships everything that oozes out of Redmond like the second coming has already made it quite clear where they stand.

So many pages of comments in so little time. Is it worth it?

McRat
June 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
To the OP:

You could be already running Linux and don't know. I found it in:

My router, my security camera system, my 5.8ghz bridge, my firewall, etc.

Linux is a major league player with dedicated devices.

xpod
June 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Re: Why Linux?

For me it`s more a case of "why not use Linux".:p

MCVenom
June 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Why justify your use of Linux to an obvious Microsoft devotee and true believer? Someone that worships everything that oozes out of Redmond like the second coming has already made it quite clear where they stand.

Did you read the pages? I think we've established that OP isn't a troll or an 'MS devotee and true believer', whatever the heck that is.

Oh and btw, welcome to the forums, check the elitist attitude at the door please. :P

Yarui
June 28th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Linux is the final answer. Something like 90%, last I read.

You'd have to wonder why this is, wouldn't you?

What compelling reasons for the use of Linux on powerful computers might make it desirable for use on personal computers?

Open source, configurable, no licensing, fast, stable, hardware compatibility across processor architectures ...
Like I said, I don't really know any official figures, but I'll take your word for it. I'm not bashing Linux at all with that statement, though. Yes, all of the things you listed are good, but some users just don't really see this increase in speed and stability. Everyone has different needs and for many "typical" users a desktop OS doesn't need to be compared to a supercomputer OS.

Because he came here with a question. He seems to actually be interested to know what draws people to Linux, so why not answer his question?

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
To the OP:

You could be already running Linux and don't know. I found it in:

My router, my security camera system, my 5.8ghz bridge, my firewall, etc.

Linux is a major league player with dedicated devices.

Your car, the backbone of servers that bring the web to you, your Droid ...

Pervasive because it is fast, open source, stable, configurable, secure, works across processor architectures, free, carries no licensing obligations, etc.

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Everyone has different needs and for many "typical" users a desktop OS doesn't need to be compared to a supercomputer OS.

Few users need a supercomputer.

But the reasons that those who run Linux on supercomputers are certainly desirable.

I'm not saying it is important for a home user to use an OS simply because Cosmologists write software to model the formation of the universe or meteorologists write software to model the Earth's weather patterns.

The question is why those people would choose Linux to do those things when they could use Microsoft's HPC offering.

Yarui
June 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Few users need a supercomputer.

But the reasons that those who run Linux on supercomputers are certainly desirable.

I'm not saying it is important for a home user to use an OS simply because Cosmologists write software to model the formation of the universe or meteorologists write software to model the Earth's weather patterns.

The question is why those people would choose Linux to do those things when they could use Microsoft's HPC offering.
Right. The reasons are good and plenty of people do choose Linux for those reason. I just don't think it's quite what the OP was looking for.

Proteus Vulgaris
June 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Did you read the pages? I think we've established that OP isn't a troll or an 'MS devotee and true believer', whatever the heck that is.

Oh and btw, welcome to the forums, check the elitist attitude at the door please. :P

I have read every single comment on every page in this thread, not that it matters one iota to you.

Nice sig "...FOSS zealot" indeed, well I suppose you have to start somewhere

Thank you for the welcome as hollow as it was. :p

koenn
June 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM

it's called collaboration: small effort by many -> large turnout.

wilee-nilee
June 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM
*spoiler*
your all just providing grist for the *shill* mill.

I would not be surprised if that is the origin of the OP.

They now have you arguing amongst yourselves, and haven't posted in over an hour.:lolflag:

Brand loyalty is a folk myth based thinking process.

MCVenom
June 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I have read every single comment on every page in this thread, not that it matters one iota to you.
Sorry for being presumptive. But I lack the ability to see how you could do so and not realize that the OP is genuinely curious; just because he hasn't already decided that Linux is the best thing in the world doesn't make him an MS devotee.

Nice sig "...FOSS zealot" indeed, well I suppose you have to start somewhere
Not sure what you mean there. I consider myself one, but I guess that's subjective.

Thank you for the welcome as hollow as it was. :p
Friend, the welcome was not hollow. I am glad you have joined us here at the forums. But I do encourage you to give people the benefit of the doubt while you're here. :P

Toffeeapple
June 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Why not!

Chame_Wizard
June 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Wasn't Debian the first Distro to use the modern form of repositories(in 1999/2000)?

QIII
June 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Wasn't Debian the first Distro to use the modern form of repositories(in 1999/2000)?

Ubuntu is, after all, a Debian derivative.

I don't remember, frankly, if there were RPM-based repos first or not. You get older, you forget stuff, you wander around your neighborhood in your boxers and black socks ...

Name change
June 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Because I like having control over what my OS consist of.
And repos. I really like repos. I got really lazy because of it I can't imagine searching and hunting down all the software that I need.

Axolotl9250
June 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I was introduced to Ubuntu by my statistics lecturer in the Biology department, who actually loved mac because he's old enough to have the privelege of using a UNIX machine at his old university (the machine even then wasn't new) and so as linux is based on it he liked it. More than that, R, SQLite, LyX and EMACS, programs he recommends we use for our stats work seamlessly where in Windows they seem a little out of place, for example, R runs in a terminal window, but in Windows runs in its own separate thing. And its confusing as hell using a program which already has a steep learning curve, and is CLI in operation, AND is package based in its install which on a Windows PC, being used to .exe's and the windows way of organising things, seems downright backwards, when in Linux its natrual. Then it's way way easier to customise EMACS to run R and SQLite as inferior buffers so you work is editable and saveable and reproducible, which is a bonus to science, and Lyx was a lot easier to set up and merge into R for publish work too.

Other than that, I used microsoft office, which I came to realise, had a bum load of terms (like all of it's software) which I could have got tangeld up in if I ever wanted to publish scientific work and money was made and such. And as a student no viruses and open source and free software means less money to spend on a computer.

Fianlly there is the whole ethical side of these two mainstream OSes making everything too easy, and making it so people think they and only they are the two types of computer. Most people I've spoken to just think Windows is the only type of computer, let alone OS. I accpet some people want easy to use computers because theyre not in the sciences like me or theyre not programmers or developers or even into computers, thats perfectly fine, but it gets worrying when they think Windows is the only thing in existance.

Chame_Wizard
June 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM
BSD and Linux are everywhere(BSD since 1977 and Linux since 1991,including 2 of the largest stock exchange in the world:NYSE,TSE/Tosho,75% of the servers,95% of supercomputers,microwaves,fridges,governments,educ ations,very small embedded devices etc etc).

50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/ (http://www.focus.com/fyi/information-technology/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/)

I readied Linux first time on 2 January 2005,not knowing it will helping me out with extending my knowledge.:lolflag:

cprofitt
June 29th, 2010, 12:49 AM

I can speak as a person who used to use Apple products... then moved to non-Apple hardware with Windows... and now Linux.

For me Apple and Microsoft have progressively taken control of the OS away from their users. OS X gets points for making use of BSD like underpinnings (also Linux like, but from the BSD root - I guess we could say *nix like). Apple has a very small selection of hardware; for me that is an issue. For less technically adept it is likely a godsend because it avoids them actually having to know enough to make a good choice. Windows seems to be chasing Apple and has started to make it more difficult to touch the deeper levels of the system. Both companies give error messages that are completely worthless. Apple has terrible support that seems to always amount to - its fixed in the upgrade; $$$ please. Microsoft fixes their issues, but occasionally breaks stuff really badly in the attempt.

In the long run for me it came down to not wanting to pay $1300 more than I had to to use OS X while losing the freedom to tweak my OS like I wanted nor wanting to pay $$ for malware protection and Windows upgrades. The fact that I gave up gaming on the computer also assisted with the demise of Windows -- Windows is THE gaming platform for the PC.

cprofitt
June 29th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Well...

If one wanted to be one of the crowd -- they would run Windows with its monstrous market share. If one wanted to think of themselves as 'hip' and 'cool' they would likely use OS X because the guy in the commercials is cool and Steve Jobs wears black turtle necks instead of a suit.

Linux users... I do not see them as being part of a crowd.