PDA

View Full Version : Hi, need Linux related categories for my site

ram4nd
June 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I have a site Browse Tutorials (http://www.browse-tutorials.net/). I need to make categories for Linux. So I need help of experienced user who can help me with my problem. I would like to keep the categories max 2 lvls deep, or url goes too long, meaning:

Photoshop
---Lvl1
------Lvl2
------Lvl2
---Lvl1

So please don't respond if you don't know every aspect of Linux, I really have to nail the categories.

Thanks

fatality_uk
June 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
So please don't respond if you don't know every aspect of Linux, I really have to nail the categories.

OK, I won't!!

ram4nd
June 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
OK, I won't!!

Ohhh please I didn't mean it like that. Or if you spam my thread then, why?

indBcode
June 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM
So basically you are building a site about Linux but don't know a thing about it ?

splicerr
June 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I think the deal here is: you write the tutorial, he collects the ad revenue from his site.

:lolflag:

ram4nd
June 29th, 2010, 04:41 AM
So basically you are building a site about Linux but don't know a thing about it ?

OMG, you didn't even went to the site. Didn't thought that opensource guys can be so useless. I am making categories for Linux tutorials, some I write myself. Some are added by others. Just making a good resource of tutorials.

splicerr, As you can see you can't write a tutorial yourself so your hypothesis is wrong. And if it makes you happier I am not making a cent per day with those, might as well just take them down.

Can anybody just help me to make the categories???

fatality_uk
June 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
OMG, you didn't even went to the site. Didn't thought that opensource guys can be so useless. I am making categories for Linux tutorials, some I write myself. Some are added by others. Just making a good resource of tutorials.

splicerr, As you can see you can't write a tutorial yourself so your hypothesis is wrong. And if it makes you happier I am not making a cent per day with those, might as well just take them down. Can anybody just help me to make the categories???

My first post wasn't trying to be spam, *MUST REMEMBER SMILEYS* but it was more tongue in cheek at the statement
So please don't respond if you don't know every aspect of Linux, I really have to nail the categories. it seemed a little abrupt to me.

I did visit the site and what I see is you linking to other works within an iframe and having your header pointing back to your site! Now while this is "neat", doesn't really give credit to those who wrote the article in the first place! I am sure that Google, HTML Goodies et al will be pleased at the re-directs and the traffic that will bring.

Copyright © 2010 Browse Tutorials - All Rights ReservedI assume you are referring to the code you have written and not any of the linked pages?

Didn't thought that opensource guys can be so useless I don't think that will encourage people to post to your site either. Without being rude, there are literally 1,000's of these type of sites dotted throughout the web. Almost feels as though you were demanding that we "create" content for you.

Anyway, I hope you have success with your site but I won't be adding to it.

chamber
June 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
How come 2 of the tuts are related to Hardy?

Would it not make more sense to create them using the most up to date release?

ram4nd
June 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Now we have some sensible talk. Sry hoping for instant help was a bit too much I guess.

I am sure Google likes it as well, I started to make the site to learn php, JavaScript etc... and I have learned a lot. Now trying to figure out the ads part, at the moment.

I am not demanding for content, I just didn't want to make wrong categories. To be different from thousands of others, like you said. I don't thing there is anything wrong with that. If I get no answer from here I go elsewhere, I will get the right categories eventually.

Sry if someones feelings got hurt, didn't meant to do so.

How come 2 of the tuts are related to Hardy?

Would it not make more sense to create them using the most up to date release?Well if I made them some time ago then maybe there weren't anything newer. I am thinking it was the time when 8.10 got out. Had to use Hardy cause I have ATI card that has no 3D support in newer versions. So that answers your question.

I would be really happy if I would see any progress with my categories, maybe any ideas, start off from somewhere. I already have command line and installation. Should I make categories for distros? Anything helps. My mother language isn't English. So I might not speak like natives, haven't got any oral/verbal exercising.

indBcode
June 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
There's no point of someone giving you plain category tree if there's nothing coming in at the moment - as soon as you'll have more tutorials, you'll have categories.
At the moment, while you have only 4 tutorials, why would you categorize them ?

ram4nd
June 30th, 2010, 05:46 AM
There's no point of someone giving you plain category tree if there's nothing coming in at the moment - as soon as you'll have more tutorials, you'll have categories.
At the moment, while you have only 4 tutorials, why would you categorize them ?I don't need to sore these, I want to make many many categories so there will be many places where to put them, so I could advertise my site. No categories = no tutorials from outside.

AllRadioisDead
June 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
No categories = no tutorials from outside.
No tutorials = Nothing to categorize

chamber
June 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
No tutorials = Nothing to categorize

This

/thread

ram4nd
June 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
No categories = no where to put tutorials.

Ok seriously cut the bs. If you are not helpful please don't spam this topic more!!!

koenn
June 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM
your question is silly - for a number of reasons

1. Noone here knows "evrything there is to know" about Linux
2. There is no "definitive" set of categories. Every field of knowledge can be categorized in multiple ways
3. categories are overrated, especially for large fields of knowledge, such as "everything there is to know about Linux"

to elaborate on #3 : in the 90's, people tried to "categorize" the information on the web (eg http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/). Then came google's search engine with a way to find stuff without needing to browse through categories, and redefined web search.

That's an example of the limitations of "categories'. It's also rather approriate for your site: If 'your' content is going to consist of other peoples web pages, Google will give far quicker access to that info than any category-based filing system such as your site.

There, helpful.

indBcode
June 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM
No categories = no where to put tutorials.

Ok seriously cut the bs. If you are not helpful please don't spam this topic more!!!

Linux - category #1 .. Still nowhere to put them in ?

whiskeylover
June 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Linux
-- pr0n
-- elephants
-- CLI

HTH

koenn
June 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Linux
-- pr0n
-- elephants
-- CLI

HTH

imo, elephants should be subdivided in
-pink
-white
-other

but i could be wrong.

fatality_uk
June 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
-pink
-white
-other

but i could be wrong.

Can I suggest Flying as a sub cat?

sydbat
June 30th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Linux
-- pr0n
-- elephants
-- CLI

HTH

-pink
-white
-other

but i could be wrong.

Can I suggest Flying as a sub cat?So...it would look like this...

Linux
--pr0n
--flying

--elephants
--colour
--pink
--white
--other
--flying
--colour
--pink
--white
--other

--CLI
--flyingDoes that seem right??

koenn
July 1st, 2010, 12:14 AM
categories with flying colours,
I think we're getting somewhere ...

ram4nd
July 1st, 2010, 05:11 AM
Ok if it's like that. Haven't been any use of you before when I've had Linux problems.

Yea those are the categories I am going to make. P0rn and elephant, such a losers, nothing else to do than spam others topics.

It's not impossible to categorize. It's hard when there is no help from the linux guys.

You take all what I write literally and what you write is bullsh. I am going to seek help from somewhere else, if there are any reasonable persons then you will find a way to contact me and help me I am sure we can figure put a treat as well for helping making the categories. Too late for the spammers.