PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] will not install

udornf4
June 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Laptop is Dell 640 running Win XP, 1G of memory,

Ubuntu 10.04 will not install. Created a separate partition (15G) for Ubuntu.

I have downloaded the OS twice and burned to two different CDs - makes no difference. Still get the same errors below.

Everytime I boot from the CD I get "unrecoverable error" message. Then I get the OS to run on the CD. Then, I try to install from the desk top installation file. I get the following (I believe step three):

"No root system defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu"

I consider myself above average Windows guy - but do not know what a "partitioning menu" is (or where to find it)

Hate to whine and complain - but I been trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 for two days now:mad:

bumanie
June 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Read through this (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-141550.shtml) - hope it helps answer the problem you are having.

udornf4
June 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Installed OK in the "side by side" mode (with XP as the other OS).

It should be noted that Ubuntu doesn't install in a pre-made BLANK partition. I made a partition for Ubuntu using Acronis Disk Director - then tried to install Ubuntu there. - Nope! I think it would have worked if I had let Ubuntu installer make the Partition...

ronparent
June 29th, 2010, 07:27 PM
The message "No root system defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu" occurs because you need to select "/" for the root system. "/" is the linux designation for the root file system. If you omit this selection then the installer doesn't know what you want installed to the partition you selected for the install.