PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Newbie

EinhanderSoul
June 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hi All Ubuntu Users!

As you can see from the title of this thread, I'm now going out to leave my Windows environment and find out what's it likes to be a Linux (Ubuntu) OS user!

I just hope that this experience would be fun, engaging etc. in Ubuntu as much as I have in using Windows for years.

Now there are a lot of questions circulating on my head right now, since I'm new to this that shouldn't be too surprising.

Here are some:

1. Is it easy to use like Windows?
2. How do I install drivers and such?
3. Is it gonna hurt my computer?
4. Is installing Ubuntu on my computer easy?

I know this might be a wee old computer, consider it as a test machine.

Here are my specs:

Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
512MB of RAM
Dell Optiplex GX260
30 GB of Hard Disk space

Video: Nvidia GeForce2 Mx/MX 400
Sound: SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
Network: Intel 8254x1000 Integrated Network
Chipset: Intel 845G

dondiego2
June 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM

1. Yes, I find it easier to use than Windows. I made the switch in January.
2. Download the latest version of Ubuntu and copy the ISO image to the disk. I had a separate HD that I installed mine on but you will have to repartition your HD if you want to keep Windows (which I think you should at first). Make sure you are hooked up to the internet via a wired connection. I'm sure you will have a few questions if you get this far but don't worry about drivers. Ubuntu does a good job of finding them by itself. Then if you have any specific problems this forum can help you.
3. Ubuntu does not hurt computers - operators do. The only problem you could have is in the partitioning with such a small HD
4. See #3.

robsoles
June 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Welcome weary ******* sufferer!!!

If you have Windows installed on this machine and are even slightly reliant on it for service (or something) then please have a look at http://www.google.com/search?=wubi+try+ubuntu+from+windows (look for sites that heavily include 'ubuntu' in domain name, like 'www.ubuntu.org' and 'ubuntuforums.org')

If you haven't got that rubbish installed and/or you can afford to 'muck up/around' on this machine then please oh please just try it flat it from an installer CD ( http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download ;) )

PM me once that you are trying to escape Windows to get to Linux in any distro and it is at least somewhat likely that I will send you my private email address and as much assistance as I can manage in my spare time!!! Although public dissemination of migration problems (sorry, get a dictionary if required) will always be better for not only the public but also the individual!

Again, although a little different: Welcome weary Microsoft victim!!

My edit: dondiego2 is absolutely right except that installing in limited space shouldn't be a problem right down to (probably) about 10Gigs, probably smaller! Oh please go nuts and try it!!!

Legendary_Bibo
June 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hi All Ubuntu Users!

As you can see from the title of this thread, I'm now going out to leave my Windows environment and find out what's it likes to be a Linux (Ubuntu) OS user!

I just hope that this experience would be fun, engaging etc. in Ubuntu as much as I have in using Windows for years.

Now there are a lot of questions circulating on my head right now, since I'm new to this that shouldn't be too surprising.

Here are some:

Here are my specs:

Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
512MB of RAM
Dell Optiplex GX260
30 GB of Hard Disk space

All variations of Ubuntu are very easy to install.
With your specs Ubuntu will run, but not at a comfortable level. I would recommend a lighter version such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu. You'll still have access to the same software, and I've tried them both on the same old computer and personally I prefer Lubuntu for its ease on customizing the appearance.

Ubuntu and its variants are extremely easy to use, BUT you will have to install software for essential basic functionalities that you might be used to in Windows which for reasons unbeknown to me are just included. I found the transition from Windows to Ubuntu frustrating at first because of the changing in the naming of files and whatnot, and because of the use of the command line for a lot of things, but you won't really need the command line. I was kind of an idiot and was afraid of using the Synaptic Package Manager which is just a tool to easily download software along with the Ubuntu software center. You can do any every day task and get pretty much any software you need from these places.

Basically to install hardware drivers it's just a one click process. If not then you can usually google the hardware drivers and find guides to install them which usually consist of copy and pasted commands for the most part. Most of the time you'll only have to perform this process for certain accessories or whatnot. I think because you have an older computer you shouldn't have to worry about that, but you can test it on a Live CD to make sure everything works, which is where you can boot to the operating system without installing it.

Ubuntu won't harm your computer and if fact can be installed next to Windows with the Wubi installer which lets you easily partition your hard drive and every time you boot up your computer you'll have a menu where you can choose which operating system to boot in. I would recommend getting a bigger hard drive though unless this isn't your main computer. Otherwise when you install Ubuntu you can just tell it to wipe your hard drive and install itself completely. Oh you should probably back up all your data first and foremost if you're going to be wiping it or messing around with the partitioning.

If you have any problems feel free to ask questions on these forums this is where the majority of the community are and are always willing to help if we can. :D

We hope you enjoy your stay!

):P):P):P):P):P

EinhanderSoul
June 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Wow, I never thought Ubuntu would be that much wonderful than *******, I'm feeling quite comfortable now... :lolflag:
I download the full ISO via the torrent alternative and I'm planning to burn it maybe some other day.

I don't wanna pay much bucks for the "new" and "so-called" Version 7, while there is a free alternative.

@robsoles: I'll PM you once I'm ready, I might upgrade the HDD to 137GB.

Thanks for the replies again, I'm loving Ubuntu and it's community now.

Ghost|BTFH
June 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hi All Ubuntu Users!

Hi EinhanderSoul!

No. Yes it is easy, but it is nothing like Windows. The first step is to take what you know and set it off to the side. There will be some things that work the same (point and click) and other things that won't (menu structure, directories, etc). Take your time, ask many questions in here and have fun!

This is one of those differences we were just talking about. The drivers for Linux are built into the kernel when it's installed - if the kernel supports it, the hardware will "just work." No need to go running around for 2 hours tracking down hard to find drivers.

If by hurt you mean, "Will it improve the speed and versatility of my system?" then yes. If you mean, "Will it rip my hard drive apart and blow up my hardware?" No...unless you don't follow the instructions on installation - then you might wipe your hard drive, something like that...or worse - some people want to wipe their hard drive, stick with default settings when they go to install and then wonder why there's still a Windows partition on their system! :)

Follow the directions and you'll be fine. ;)

It's actually a little too easy. To help Windows users, they really should make it lock up on random occasions and force you to reboot before it'll install properly. Or partly wipe a drive. Or, I dunno, fail to find drivers for key components you need to get online and then ask you if you want to get online to find them... ;)

Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
512MB of RAM
Dell Optiplex GX260
30 GB of Hard Disk space

Nothing wrong with your computer other than the video is archaic. You may have to use legacy drivers for it, it might see what you have and install the correct ones from the restricted drivers section...just do the install and see what happens.

Now, after installation and updates, the next thing you want to do (depending on what all you enjoy doing on your computer, I'm assuming "everything" and going from there) is to install:

ubuntu-restricted-extras

and you'll probably want to watch DVDs on the system, in which case you should then do a search for:

medibuntu

and learn how to add the repository to your software package manager. Then you'll want to install:

libdvdcss2

After that, you should probably take some time to weep with joy and slowly learn your way around the system. Remember, if something requires your password to continue, it's doing something major to the system (like installing software or changing configurations of a program) - do not take it lightly! Make SURE you trust the content (our repositories are very safe and secure, but a file you just download off the internet may not be!) and know what it is going to do.

Good luck and happy computing!

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

TheNessus
June 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
As for the Nvidia driver, open a terminal (programs -> accessories -> terminal)
and simply write

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Don't be alarmed. If you think of it, it is much easier than going to Nvidia's website, search your driver, download, and install. To explain what the command above does: "sudo" gives you root privilege (administrator privilege) because as default your user is like a guest. "apt-get" is the program that downloads and installs program from the online repositories, "install" is self-explanatory, etc. (as an aside - nvidia-current installs nVidia's own propriety drivers, instead of the open-source alternative, which is less stable)

However, before you do that, you must do

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

both commands will update the repository which a fresh-install isn't automatically aware of, and upgrade all your programs and needed drivers your system deems neccesery to function correctly. After that is done, do the nvidia-current command above.

This, in a nutshell, ensures all is working properly.

If you want to install any programs via GUI, which is naturally preferable, you have the software center somewhere in the menu to your left.

good luck

Tristam Green
June 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Welcome weary ******* sufferer!!!

If you have ******* installed on this machine and are even slightly reliant on it for service (or something) then please have a look at http://www.google.com/search?=wubi+try+ubuntu+from+windows (look for sites that heavily include 'ubuntu' in domain name, like 'www.ubuntu.org' and 'ubuntuforums.org')

If you haven't got that rubbish installed and/or you can afford to 'muck up/around' on this machine then please oh please just try it flat it from an installer CD ( http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download ;) )

PM me once that you are trying to escape ******* to get to Linux in any distro and it is at least somewhat likely that I will send you my private email address and as much assistance as I can manage in my spare time!!! Although public dissemination of migration problems (sorry, get a dictionary if required) will always be better for not only the public but also the individual!

Again, although a little different: Welcome weary M$ victim!!

My edit: dondiego2 is absolutely right except that installing in limited space shouldn't be a problem right down to (probably) about 10Gigs, probably smaller! Oh please go nuts and try it!!!

Good lord, reading your post is painful.

OP: Best of luck with Linux ventures. It can be rewarding, it can be fun, but it can also be aggravating - anyone who tells you contrary is trying to sell something.

I would second the calls for using Wubi or at least truly dual-booting for a couple of months. There are a select few individuals who can switch straight from Windows to Linux and fly with no issues whatsoever - you may be one of those people, and if you are, power to you.

I ran with Windows and Linux dualled for about six months, three of which I didn't even touch Windows. Since then, I do have a hybrid setup at home of various Windows machines and a couple Linux boxes, so they can coexist (again, sometimes with difficulties lol).

Again, good luck.

robsoles
June 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
[...] Good lord, reading your post is painful.

meh, I've seen worse :lolflag:

libssd
June 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
The worst part about Linux/Ubuntu is that is so damned configurable, and can quickly become a time sink as you experiment with various tweaks. I'm hopelessly addicted.

Overall, Mac OS X does more, but Ubuntu does 99% of what I need to do, I can make it work the way I want, rather than the way its designers want, and I spend most of my time on it.

But, make sure you have good, restorable system backups. Experimentation is a good way to learn your way around Linux, but sometimes you can dig yourself into a hole, for which the only escape is a wipe and restore.

EinhanderSoul
June 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
@Ghost|BTFH: Thanks for answering my questions well, I'm kind of confident on installing it at anytime soon. And I don't watch DVDs on this machine(it has no drive for it at all!), I have a DVD player to do that, though it has a CD-ROM drive which my dad uses to watch VCD movies on WMP 11.

Now, after installation and updates, the next thing you want to do (depending on what all you enjoy doing on your computer, I'm assuming "everything" and going from there) is to install:

ubuntu-restricted-extras

Yeah, classic video game emulation, Flash-based gaming and web surfing mostly.

@TheNessus: Thanks for the tips! Now I understand what those really mean (the "sudo" stuff). I've been coming across articles and posts by Linux users who post this terminal code.

@Legendary_Bibo:
Ubuntu and its variants are extremely easy to use, BUT you will have to install software for essential basic functionalities that you might be used to in Windows which for reasons unbeknown to me are just included. I found the transition from Windows to Ubuntu frustrating at first because of the changing in the naming of files and whatnot, and because of the use of the command line for a lot of things, but you won't really need the command line. I was kind of an idiot and was afraid of using the Synaptic Package Manager which is just a tool to easily download software along with the Ubuntu software center. You can do any every day task and get pretty much any software you need from these places.

I like tinkering and experimenting with command lines, this should be fun. :p

@libssd: I'm sure I'll go through it fine.

Johnsie
June 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Mostly... Sometimes you will need to follow long tutorials to do simple things though

If they aren't included then you will need to use google or ubuntu forums to try and find out the method for doing this. Sometimes it's easy, other times not. With Ubuntu there is no standard way to install a driver. With Windows it's relatively easy to install a driver from a cd, but with Linux sometimes it can be a little more tricky. Some devices that worked with Windows simply wont work.

Probably not on that hardware, but I wouldn't recommend using Ubuntu on a laptop. Ubuntu is known for causing problems with overheating, hard disk damage and more rarely battery problems. When it says on a computer that it was designed for Windows it means that the computer model has been tested with Windows and the included Windows drivers... If it has not been tested thoroughly with Linux or the Linux drivers so you should exercise some caution. Bad drivers have been known to cause damage to hardware in the past.

Easy for some people. It helps if you know a little about hard disk partitioning.

sanderd17
June 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
though it has a CD-ROM drive which my dad uses to watch VCD movies on WMP 11.

If your dad uses the computer, be sure to keep windows on the computer (install ubuntu via wine or dual boot) because most people who aren't interested in finding how a computer works are very conservative.

They're used the can access everything via the "start" button in the lower left corner but in Ubuntu the applications and the settings will be different menus in the upper left corner. I know it's not a big deal but this and other little changes can annoy people who aren't interested.

Off course, Ubuntu is totally configurable. I now have a dock like OSX and the only thing remaining from the top bar are the notifications that automatically hide.

philinux
June 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hi All Ubuntu Users!

Here are some:

Here are my specs:

Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
512MB of RAM
Dell Optiplex GX260
30 GB of Hard Disk space

Dont forget to post any support requests in the appropriate forum. e.g

ABT http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326 or

General Help http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

Also you get no beans posting in here. ;)

betrunkenaffe
June 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Pentium 4, 2.4GHz
512MB of RAM
Dell Optiplex GX260
30 GB of Hard Disk space

The only issues I can see are the 512MB of RAM and the HD size, 30GB doesn't leave alot of room for dual booting. Definitely make sure you know how much HD space you will be leaving for Windows. Make sure you "try before installation" option and test out sound, internet, some video stuff and see if anything doesn't work or acts a little strange. My Ubuntu install runs around 700MB of RAM when using Firefox (currently at 500 since swapping to Epiphany) so you are going to be utilizing the page file more than you might desire. This will slow down the performance. I do like the suggestion of using lubuntu or xubuntu (I have tried xubuntu and it's quite nice imo) since they use considerably less RAM. The Xubuntu machine I have set up at my father's place has similar specs to your machine and runs like a modern desktop. Keep this in mind if you decide to switch to *buntu and which one might be best for you.

My best suggestion would be to not get upset at first as you learn to adapt to the differences, there are some that may seem annoying at first but you'll learn to like them (or at least accept them and move on). Time and patience is your friend.

Probably not on that hardware, but I wouldn't recommend using Ubuntu on a laptop. Ubuntu is known for causing problems with overheating, hard disk damage and more rarely battery problems. When it says on a computer that it was designed for Windows it means that the computer model has been tested with Windows and the included Windows drivers... If it has not been tested thoroughly with Linux or the Linux drivers so you should exercise some caution. Bad drivers have been known to cause damage to hardware in the past.

To me, this seems like someone just spouting. I'm running a dual boot and I can feel the difference in heat between the different OS. Windows runs considerably hotter and sometimes I get concerned about how hot it is running. Never had that issue in Linux, even when running Guild Wars (which I do with both OS). I've also never heard of Linux running hotter as a "known issue", do you have anything to back up these claims?

Bad drivers are bad drivers, you install one on any system and you'll suffer the consequences.

robsoles
June 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Don't let anyone stop you trying this Ubuntu stuff, just sift through the posts given and count the 'detractors' against the 'supporters', I am sure it's clear that lots of people are very willing to help and Ubuntu is an excellent flavor of Linux for beginners and old-timers alike.

I haven't yet seen Ubuntu harm a lappie nor desktop nor server and I've set it up on 4 different lappies (two older and two real modern ones) and umpteen different desktop and server machines without any overheating or other issues introduced by ditching M$ nonsense.

Elfy
June 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Let's have less of the ridiculous ******* and m$ rubbish please. If linux is going to stand on it's own it can do with less of that.

To the OP - try it and see - try wubi, but I would not look to it as a pemanent install.

Linux is not windows and it's issues are different and always will be.

Of the bat I would say that you will need to use the default driver for your nvidia card to start with, I used to have one of those, in the end it was easier to change cards.

1. Is it easy to use like Windows? - similar, but as the software is different it is not the same. Do not read posts here about Wine and assume that you will get any windows software to work - it is not like that.

2. How do I install drivers and such? This is easier - if there are any needed - on instal check in System > Admin > Hardware Drivers
3. Is it gonna hurt my computer? - as has been said - no - nor will you - though you might have to start again.
4. Is installing Ubuntu on my computer easy? Many find it so - but if you look in this forum you'll see that not everyone does.

Have a look here for some easily read and digested material - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Good luck

WinterRain
June 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Windows was fun and engaging?
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_77/11556097049RqJf7.jpg

ubunterooster
June 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Windows was fun and engaging?
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_77/11556097049RqJf7.jpg
That photo properly relays the feeling I feel hearing that said.

It's not Windows, it's not a windows replacement.
Linux is a journey, an experience, not just an OS

Tristam Green
June 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Linux is a journey, an experience, not just an OS

http://www.qcdn.org/ffxi/images/smiles/you%20silly.gif

Stop trying to be Zen, it's a piece of software not a life-altering choice.

Elfy
June 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
This is not going to be going anywhere now, the OP has had both sides of the coin. Both sorts of fanbois will be along later adding nothing.

Thread closed.