PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia slowed my boot?

goseph
June 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
The darndest thing,

A fresh install of Lucid x64 followed by updates/upgrades and reboot led to an impressively quick boot. I tried enabling proprietary Nvidia drivers to see if that improved things and the boot seems similar but hangs at the wallpaper for about 30 seconds being perfectly responsive except for the top/bottom panels not appearing. I removed the nvidia driver hoping to get back to the panels appearing almost as soon as the wallpaper but they are still as slow as ever. I am sure that the only thing I changed was the Nvidia drivers. Is there anything I can do to track down what is going on and maybe even sort it?

dino99
June 28th, 2010, 08:54 AM
nvidia-current need to be activated (system admin hardware driver)

you can install the latest packages from this ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

goseph
June 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hi, I have done as you suggested and added that ppa and done all updates / upgrades and enabled the current Nvidia driver. This has made no difference, I am starting to think that I incorrectly pointed to Nvidia when diagnosing the problem, maybe this is some sort of regression in the normal updates that I don't remember doing.

It seems unlikely to be a graphics driver issue because the whole desktop and Nautilus are fully responsive and "zippy", the panels just don't arrive for nearly 30 seconds after teh desktop is fully loaded, and when they do they are buggy. Attached is a screenshot showing what happens if I increase their size. Where do I report this kind of bug? Ubuntu or Gnome?

goseph
June 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
As ever, thanks for your time :)